67 KB · Views: 96
  • 1480162020175.jpg
    1480162020175.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 96
  • 1480162030094.jpg
    1480162030094.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 79
Upvote 21
That sounds like a great hunt! Beats the heck out of shopping. Congrats to both you and your friend on a couple of beautiful coins!

Last edited:
That's actually not a Regal Geo, but a very nice example of a counterfeit.:icon_thumright:

Nice KGIII! Contracts to your friend too for the silver! :treasurechest::occasion14:

Very nice finds, congratulations! The Cap Liberty is beautiful! :occasion14:

Great find on the KG and its condition but looks like your friend's capped bust gets the nod for find of the day in my opinion. The other friend probably wishes he went shopping, ha! Great recoveries Eagle!

Congrats on the KG! I'm sure that made your long holiday weekend. HH!

John

Thanks for the info. I had no idea that it was counterfeit. I'm happy either way!!

In some way you should be happier, the metal alloys of these don't hold up as well as the Regals, so one in that condition is a scarce find.

In some way you should be happier, the metal alloys of these don't hold up as well as the Regals, so one in that condition is a scarce find.

Absolutely, my thought exactly. The only full dates I've pulled from all my KG2 & 3's were regals.

Absolutely, my thought exactly. The only full dates I've pulled from all my KG2 & 3's were regals.
MOST KGIII counterfeits are made of copper, just less of it (less weight), now KGII's are a different story, the counterfeits, were usually Cast and were a mix of metals.
A lot of counterfeit KGIII have very readable dates! If you think you found a regal (KGIII that is) post a good photo of it, or email photo to me.... Don

Beautiful finds :icon_thumleft: I think the halfpenny is in the Coin "Y" family of contemporary counterfeits. There was an article about this family in the Winter 2014 C-4 Newsletter (Howes).

I'm not 100% convinced it is exact but I think this one looks pretty close to a match to your coin-

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    1,016.1 KB · Views: 48

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back