VTHunter

Greenie
Aug 6, 2012
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garret GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Untill now the oldest coin that I've ever found came about a month ago when i pulled a 1804 half cent out of an old foundation. Last night I was metal detecting and old foundation not 3 tenths of a mile from my house, in fact i rode my wheeler there...I searched till dark and found and old fork and three or four buttons along with random blobs of lead and some section of old cook pots. It was so dark i couldn't see what i was digging up anymore so i said, i'll just run my detector through this section and mark the spots that put out good tones and i'll dig them in the day light. When i hit that coin, it was a good tone.... i couldn't resist digging it, and sure enough 5 inches deep this 1775 Georgivs III Rex Hibernia coin came out, i'll try to get pics up by tommorrow. From my understanding these is and irish half cent, but most of the ones found in this country are counterfits made here in the US, not over in england? is that true??? how can u tell the difference and what do people know about this coin?

Thanks,
Andrew and Happy Hunting

Upvote 0
OP
OP
V

VTHunter

Greenie
Aug 6, 2012
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garret GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Until i get the pics up the physical discription is as follows, guy with olive branch crown on head, and a harp with 9 strings and the reverse.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They don't use cent for these so it's a Halfpenny. It's true many are counterfeit, but the person who told you most were made in the US is incorrect. The vast majority are from the UK and made their way here just like other coins. If it's counterfeit you should be able to find differences between it and the Regal (genuine) issue. Some will be close in design, and others drastically different.

OP
OP
V

VTHunter

Greenie
Aug 6, 2012
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garret GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the response Iron Patch, i'll try to find some genuine pics to compare them????

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the response Iron Patch, i'll try to find some genuine pics to compare them????

There's so many that are close that most people don't realize or care, because they were all used back in the day. It's when you get into the rarer counterfeits that it gets interesting. In general anything made in America would be a good find, and some can be extremely rare and quite valuable. Those coins would be Machin's Mills and a handful of others thought to have been struck in America.

Off the top of my head I don't think there's any George III Hibernia coins listed as struck in America. If a copper is at all close to the genuine coin, definitely not, because the American makers seemed to have their own style which was quite different. Of course no one can ever say for sure on every coin, they just go with what makes the most sense from all the data collected over the years. There's quite a few people who collect counterfeits and are very serious about them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

VTHunter

Greenie
Aug 6, 2012
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garret GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I appreciate the help and the info Iron Patch, you seem to be very knowledgeable in this field.

Thanks

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate the help and the info Iron Patch, you seem to be very knowledgeable in this field.

Thanks

I know the basics but talk to people relatively often who pretty much know all there is to know about this area of collecting. So if you ever dig one that I can't help you on, the answer is just an email away. That being said, there's very few counterfeit halfpennies that are dug that I would considering an exciting find, but here is one and a thread you might enjoy reading. This is one of those American counterfeits, but not a Machin's Mills.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...eorgivs-backwards-s-update-id-25-83a-omg.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

VTHunter

Greenie
Aug 6, 2012
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garret GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Georgivs Rex heads0001.jpg Georgivs Rex reverse0001.jpg

Here are the scans of the coin, didn't come out as well as I would have liked but it is what it is...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread