1775 King George Halfpenny and Draped Bust Half Cent Found in After Work Hunt!

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I was on my way home with about 2 hours of daylight remaining. I called my wife to let her know my ETA and she said she was out and wouldn't be home till the Phillies game started. I seized the opportunity and swung by one of my local sites. I have been detecting this one for about 8 years on and off. In the past I have found Indian Head cents, Liberty Head Nickels, Wheaties and old buttons, but other than one toasted copper coin, I have never found a coin older than a "fatty" Indian Head.

When I got to the site, I decided to take advantage of the areas where some of the thick vegetation had died off due to the drought. I left the path for a barren patch and was immediately greeted with the bouncy tone typical of a button at about 5 inches. I dug a plug and found a flat button The button has a nice back mark "Treble Gilt" with an early eagle over it. This dates it to circa 1800-1820. A quick dig with a flat button is always a good sign. A few feet away I got a similar signal and dug a shotgun shell. Another few feet away I got a jumpy but sweet sound which seemed a bit too large for a Wheatie. The V3 read a depth of 5 inches, but there was nothing in the large plug. My pinpointer was detecting something, but it was more like 8.5 inches down. I dug the soil out with my hand and was surprised at the King George copper in my hand. I finally got a decent colonial after all these years at the site! It appears to be a 1775, but it may be a 1773 or 1772.

I spent the next hour digging some trash and a few early Wheaties. It was getting dark so I headed back to the car. On the way I got a nice signal in a spot right off the main path that I must have passed within inches of before (as well as countless other people who have detected here). It was 4.5 inches down with a 71 VDI. I figured one more Wheatie would not be a bad way to end the day. The soil was very gravelly at the spot and it took quite a bit of work to finally get the coin I was looking for. I was able to see the word Liberty and the profile due to the setting suns long shadows. My first Draped Bust Half Cent and my first half cent in more than a year!

Unfortunately my cameras zoom broke again! (Sand and zoom lenses are not a good combination) So until I invest in digital camera number 5, scans will have to do.

The KGIII cleaned up nicely, but the cleaned coin does not scan as well as the dirty one. The Draped Bust is toasty with no date, but still it is a nice find for me.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 926
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 903
Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A great story and some great finds too. Well done. :thumbsup:

-Buckles

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good finds :icon_thumleft: that 1775 KG has some detail Dd60

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS Minelab E-trac
Very nice colonial coins. There must be a spanish silver there waiting for you to stop by again. The V3 will pop it out of the ground.
Marty

U

umrgolf

Neil, Great post :headbang: still awaiting my first KG III aside from two VA halfpennies.. too bad about the draped bust, was hoping she would clean up, but still a good one :headbang:

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds Neil! Please post the Georgie when it's cleaned up. Looks like a beauty! Hogge

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Nice ! Congrats on the oldies, :icon_thumright: !

TommNJ

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
hogge said:
Great finds Neil! Please post the Georgie when it's cleaned up. Looks like a beauty! Hogge

Other than being slightly out of round, it is a beauty, worn, smooth even surface. Unfortunately without a digicam I wont be able to post a photo. Scanners do a better job on dirty coppers than clean ones!

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
nice job man! a sweet 2 hour hunt to say the least :thumbsup:

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome coins Neil! Beats my 2 hour hunt in the woods yesterday found about 50 .22 shells :o

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool post and nice keepers. :icon_thumright:

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old coppers are always a great time no matter the condition ! :headbang: :headbang: Sorry about your digital ,Neil . I left my camera on the front seat Sat . The temps were up and the heat must have melted the cheesy, plastic , gears that extend the zoom lense . The LCD displays " lense error" and thats a 100 dollar fix ::) sorta in the same shoes . Great Fall season to you :thumbsup: dawg

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
CMDiamonddawg said:
Old coppers are always a great time no matter the condition ! :headbang: :headbang: Sorry about your digital ,Neil . I left my camera on the front seat Sat . The temps were up and the heat must have melted the cheesy, plastic , gears that extend the zoom lense . The LCD displays " lense error" and thats a 100 dollar fix ::) sorta in the same shoes . Great Fall season to you :thumbsup: dawg

I see one of these in my future... Weatherproof, Shockproof and most importantly, DUST PROOF!!
FujiFilm-FinePix-XP10-Four-Proof-Digital-Camera-Blue.jpg

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
I love seeing King George Coppers being posted. A KG has been at the top of my list for a while now.

Great recovery on that one !!

VPR

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is a scan of the coin cleaned. Scans do not do the coin justice. There are no highlights due to the direct light. It looks 1000% better in person.

004.jpg 005.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread