1776 Half Reale

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
It's been a long time since I've been on T-Net, so I figured I'd post this 1/2 reale I dug up today to show I'm still alive and still detecting. Found the reale at an old spot of mine where I found a holed US capped bust dime 9 1/2 years ago.

Note: The actual date of the reale is 1773, as pointed out by Pistareen. Thanks!

Here's a link to the capped bust dime post from January 3, 2006, I found in the same place as the 1/2 reale today:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/15221-1814-holed-capped-bust-dime.html#post132495

Attachments

• reale.jpg
    reale.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 152
  • reale2.jpg
    reale2.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
Upvote 22
This is a holed reale type coin. So the half dime was holed too?

Looks like a scarce 1773 Guatemala Mint half real, minted before the earthquake that destroyed the mint in 1776.

so cool to find a 1/2 reale, especially one with that year!

very cool, congrats!

Fantastic! Colonial silver is best silver :treasurechest::thumbsup:

Congrats on an incredible save! I'm still looking for my first spanish silver, every time I see one posted on here I start drooling! Good thing you re-checked that spot. Might still be more waiting for you there!

Awesome find. Nice to see you back posting. sounds like a great site.

Awesome find. Nice to see you back posting. sounds like a great site.

Thanks a lot Evo. It's a small, iffy spot (iffy in the sense I might be thrown out). Ground was baked with more rocks than usual, with really no good, trashy signals. I'll go back after a rain, and do another small area (around an acre) that I also hit before, but did not pound.

By the way, any chance you could post a picture of the GW inaugural button you found on this thread?

Last edited:
I remember my 1/2 reale, such a wierd signal, 60 something on the atpro, I had a hard time finding it with the pinpointer too, once I saw it i thought it was a 3 center until I wiped some dirt away and bam, 1794 1/2 reale, what a feeling

Congrats again on yours!

About halfway through the thread there are some better pics of it with more detail.

I remember my 1/2 reale, such a wierd signal, 60 something on the atpro, I had a hard time finding it with the pinpointer too, once I saw it i thought it was a 3 center until I wiped some dirt away and bam, 1794 1/2 reale, what a feeling

Congrats again on yours!

Oh, the other one George helped you find?! Lol.

I just looked as I had replied to your post but apparently it didn't go through....

GREAT FIND! Spanish silver looks and feels like nothing else!! Congrats

Congrats again on yours!

I've found a total of nine one reales and half reales, and they never show up on the screen as coins. So each one I've found has been a surprise.

Last edited:
Oh, the other one George helped you find?! Lol.

I just looked as I had replied to your post but apparently it didn't go through....

GREAT FIND! Spanish silver looks and feels like nothing else!! Congrats

For the record, my 1 reale was only 5 inches down, almost any machine would've found it lol:tongue3:
George helped me by taking me to that awesome site and yes I'd live to repay the favor someday

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back