1780s Inn permission granted

Snowjonson

Sep 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I flew back home to New Hampshire for a family christmas party and a woman who lives down the street lives in an Inn that was by a stage coach stop came by and said sure go ahead and dig around and see what you can find, I asked if anyone's detected there before and she said nope! So the next day I went down there and spent 5 hours with the AtPro with the small coil.

Her and her husband were very kind and gave me a history lesson on the place and showed me the inside and told me where the original door used to be and where they would have pulled up the horse and buggy back in the day.

First few signals were wheats from the 40s then put popped a merc, then another merc, then a war nickle, then got a deep 85-86 signal and popped the Barber quarter down about 6-7 inches, really was hoping for something older but no complaints here.

Then I moved spots and focused on where the original door was and it was full of nails and iron, got a strong 82 signal only about an inch deep and a holed copper came out, little disappointed since it was completely toasted but after I got home I could make out a couple leaves and a ribbon of what looks like a Draped bust large cent!

I dug 2 Indians in the same area and some more wheats, then went to the other side and scored 2 more Mercs less than an inch deep around the family entrance to the home, searched around some more but only came up with a few more wheats. I was mostly cherry picking high tones since I only had a day to hunt there but I dug a few mid tones first 61 was yup pull tab, then got another strong mid tone right next to the pull tab and just as shallow about an inch down and decided to dig it and out pops a coin! I couldn't think of what kind of coin would ring up mid 60s at that shallow of a depth, I thought maybe foreign? I could make out "One Cent" on the back and I thought maybe a fatty Indian? Wrong! 1857 Flying eagle cent! I couldn't believe how shallow it was since I dug wheats at 7-8 inches in the same area. You just never know! Ended the day with 6 silvers, the draped bust largy, flying eagle cent, 3 Indians and 14 wheats (not pictured) oldest 1920

Next day I went to an area where there used to be a small town in the woods with my mom and I went 2 hours without finding anything and I had to leave for the airport soon. Then I hit a nice 84-85 down about 5 inches and called my mom over and said this could be something good! I was expecting silver quarter maybe but to my surprise a Coronet large cent pops out! I wasn't expecting that since I thought the town was late 1800s to early 1900s. We were next to a depression which looked like an old well and pulled a nice big flat button about 2 inches across close to where I got the large cent. I pulled the other toasted large cent (braided hair me thinks) and the barber dime in the same area in a previous hunt and decided to throw them in the same post.

Thanks for looking and HH!

Gotta love the weather back east right now!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1450821420.563110.jpg
Picture of the site

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1450820779.106004.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1450820795.764133.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1450820810.491988.jpg
1857 (pretty sure)
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1450820822.445691.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1450820834.251450.jpg
You can just make out the leaves southwest of the hole
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1450820870.968022.jpg
Obverse is toasted
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1450820904.935550.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1450820916.026711.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1450820924.591117.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1450820932.472440.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1450820978.499276.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1450821003.134632.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1450821049.096123.jpg

Upvote 33

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt, little bit of everything :icon_thumleft:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice hunt! Congratulations. :occasion14:

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome coins! There's so many great finds and so much great history on our east coast- you had a great day indeed- congrats!!

-- Jeff --

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would try and make it back soon before someone detects it. Awesome hunt

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty cool that you found four types of cents in one hunt: draped bust, flying eagle, indian head, and Lincoln wheatie. Doesn't happen very often at all, way to go! Many years back I found a site in which I found every type of cent from Classic Head LC through to modern zincoln. Those finds did not all occur in one day, however, it took about ten separate hunts.

Mell0w Sl0w

Sep 7, 2015
North GA
Detector(s) used
whites coinmaster pro, whites bulls eye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool story, great pictures and superb permission!!

to bad you don't live closer so you could really work that place over:BangHead:

so is it still an Inn? or has the lady converted it into her home? place is cool looking. gotta love new Hampshire, beautiful state, hope to go again one day.

thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
Snowjonson

Snowjonson

Sep 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty cool that you found four types of cents in one hunt: draped bust, flying eagle, indian head, and Lincoln wheatie. Doesn't happen very often at all, way to go! Many years back I found a site in which I found every type of cent from Classic Head LC through to modern zincoln. Those finds did not all occur in one day, however, it took about ten separate hunts.

Thanks! I didn't even think of how many types of cents I found that hunt, managed a copper Lincoln and a zinc too so that makes 2 more. I was pleasantly surprised at the lack of modern change at this place, it's almost like people were in the yard playing til the 40s and then just stopped. Perfect little time capsule!

OP
OP
Snowjonson

Snowjonson

Sep 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool story, great pictures and superb permission!!

to bad you don't live closer so you could really work that place over:BangHead:

so is it still an Inn? or has the lady converted it into her home? place is cool looking. gotta love new Hampshire, beautiful state, hope to go again one day.

thanks for sharing!

I know, I told her next time I'm in town I'll come back and dig some more and she said go for it! I offered if she wanted to keep any of the finds and she declined saying I did all the work. She's a close family friend so I'm welcome to come back anytime. I'm just wondering what else that ground holds...

They left the inside pretty much as is, there are still original Inn rooms upstairs and the downstairs has the huge original fireplace with a painting of what it looked like back then, still had the hook above the fireplace that was used to heat the bath water for weary travelers, and they showed me where the summer kitchen used to be and the areas where large barns were that are torn down now. The place is oozing history!

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, very cool. I'd be happy finding any one of those.

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great digs! I would have done the same, cherry picked! Maybe you can get back again when you can spend more time.

Last edited:

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt, you found tons of quality finds. That's a dream spot!!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know, I told her next time I'm in town I'll come back and dig some more and she said go for it! I offered if she wanted to keep any of the finds and she declined saying I did all the work. She's a close family friend so I'm welcome to come back anytime. I'm just wondering what else that ground holds...

They left the inside pretty much as is, there are still original Inn rooms upstairs and the downstairs has the huge original fireplace with a painting of what it looked like back then, still had the hook above the fireplace that was used to heat the bath water for weary travelers, and they showed me where the summer kitchen used to be and the areas where large barns were that are torn down now. The place is oozing history!

That sounds like one beautiful place! I have always loved older architecture more than modern. Give me an old house any day over a new one. You made some great finds. Looks like there is quite a bit of area there, so good luck on your return visits!

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Barbers, LC's, Indians and more. What a great day you had. A lot of your finds are on many bucket lists and you pulled them in one day.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very well done. Congrats on all of the sweet old coins.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
JOHNSON NICE COINAGE FINDS .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions