Nick79

Jan 28, 2018
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi experts, newbie collector here. Can't afford super cool coins and saw this 1781 Mexico 8 reales at a local shop for only $25. I think it looks like some I have seen on EBay that are ship wreak coins. Salt damaged as I think or something else? The spots with best detail are directly opposite on the coin and that is also the thickest point of the edge of the coin. Excited to get my first 8 reales...first 1700s silver too
Thanks for looking. PSX_20190203_073353.jpeg PSX_20190203_073521.jpeg 20190202_160623.jpeg

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
While it is hard to be sure without extremely closeup pics but from what I can see, the coin appears to have been made in a mold. I know that saltwater damage can really mess up Silver and other coins and sometimes give them the porous appearance of mold made coins but your' coin definitely has the porous appearance of a mold made coin. The porosity of a mold made coin is due to air bubbles that get trapped below the surface of the metal that eventually collapse during the process and also from air bubbles that get trapped between the mold and the metal of the coin. Counterfeiters use all kinds of techniques to try to remove, hide or camouflage the porosity but most attempts fail poorly.

However, please do not rely solely on what I stated and please wait for others to chime in with their opinions. There are quite a few folks on here that are into shipwreck salvage and are very knowledgeable of shipwreck coins!

Last edited:

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
have it tested--- then report the seller to Lt. Joe Kenda. looks as real as "Stormy":BangHead:

OP
OP
Nick79

Nick79

Jan 28, 2018
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wouldn't it cost more to test it than I paid? This guy has been in business for decades as a reputable coin dealer, he would not sell a fake coin for 25 bucks and risk it. I seriously doubt it is a fake. I guess I could take it to another local coin shop for a look.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To help others give you insight, what is the weight and can you post an image of the edge of the coin?
Confidence in the seller is good news. Did the shop where you bought it confirm it is actually silver or give you any info on where they got it?

Those cast counterfeits are deceiving.
Also, one of the things to look for is a casting sprue. (Do a Google search for info)That is the area on a coin where the metal enters the mold.
(Think of packs of plastic or rubber washers that you can buy at the hardware store.)

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That wpuld be awesme authenticated

OP
OP
Nick79

Nick79

Jan 28, 2018
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here's the edge. I didn't realize there were many of these faked. The rest of the edge is pretty worn thin, thanks for the comments and insights all
20190202_185359.jpeg

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I'm confident that it is 100% real. Without providence, it is just another sea salvage 8R. From my experience (I have cleaned and conserved hundreds of El Cazador 8R coins from clumps), it is what they look like. I would wager that due to the year that it likely came from the El Cazador. 1781 is a better date. Most common date was 1783. We used to sell the razors (outer clump pieces worn smooth with a "razor" thin edge) to tourists (consigned to the Fountain of Youth and the Pirate Museum) for $30/each. Any better date or specimens with the amount of detail would be sold in shop at Spanish Main Antiques for ($80-$100/each).

Of course, your piece can only be linked by speculation with no real providence. Still a nice piece and a great buy.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
See, it pays off to wait for more opinions as Mackaydon and Diver_Down have been working with shipwreck coins a very long time and they are trusted.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's the edge. I didn't realize there were many of these faked. The rest of the edge is pretty worn thin, thanks for the comments and insights all
View attachment 1679286

They are faked or as we say in the coin world, counterfeited all the time and mostly by the Chinese in Shanghai where the Counterfeiters can produce as many counterfeit coins as they wish without fear of prosecution from their government or reprisal from anyone else. Even Mel Fisher admitted in Court that he sold counterfeit Spanish Pieces of Eight in his' shop that he obtained from a Coin Dealer.

OP
OP
Nick79

Nick79

Jan 28, 2018
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks guys, I feel better about it and very cool info about El Cazador. I'll have to read up on it. I'll try to weigh after I fix my scale or but a new one.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
do the spit on shiny side of aluminum foil test. should smell sulphur after 30 seconds. this will confirm the silver--- but weight & and electronic tester are still essential. bear in mind a silver Morgan at $25 would be a fair price. that edge does look good:hello2:

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would you guys take a peek at these? When bought had El Cazador note in the flip. an antique store owner who claims to know coins said fake, but still wanted to buy.

Attachments

• 8-REAL-1.jpg
    8-REAL-1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 62
  • 8-REAL-2.jpg
    8-REAL-2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 60

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would you guys take a peek at these? When bought had El Cazador note in the flip. an antique store owner who claims to know coins said fake, but still wanted to buy.
I think the weight should be close to 27 -28 grams.
And the pitting looks like sand cast because of the porosity/pitting on the surface.
Magnesium is used because of the similar look to silver but the weight will be way off.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread