OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back to the site that produced the Nova Constellatio yesterday, and hit it again this morning for a couple of hours. Pulled out two more LC's. (A Flowing Hair, and a Braided). This place is rough on coins (it was a farm field into the 1950's, and is across from a tavern that dates at least to the 1820's.).

These coins are rough, but man I do love the old coppers... If you look closely at the flowing hair (right most coin) you can see the profile pretty clearly, and you can make out a faint "LIBERTY" above the profile. If you squint at the date section with side light, it appears to start with 17...

Needless to say, we'll be going back. (I'm still amazed that I can pull medium depth large cents out of a public park). This makes six total for this location.

largies.jpg

Upvote 16
OP
OP
OWK

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The date on the Flowing Hair, is 1796.

That's two 1700's US Coppers in two days. (my first and second 1700's coppers)

** I guess what I called a Flowing Hair, is technically a Draped Bust. (not much experience with early coppers)

Last edited:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow those are some nice early ones my friend. Those 1700s American coins are not easy to find. I'd be seriously wondering if there's some super early silvers hiding in that ground. You picked a great machine. I love my T2 SE and have used the F75. Just bought a GPX the other day. Had to buy a much bigger shovel to get to the deep signals this thing sniffs out. It's pretty crazy. Looking forward to your next finds from here

Zachbl92

Nov 8, 2015
Quinton, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro, Teknetics G2+, Garret AT pinpointer, deteknix xpointer, gray ghost originals
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome coppers and congrats on #1 and #2 of the 1700s! It sucks how the coppers usually come out toasted over here with the farmland and pesticides and such. But at least you made something out! That's a plus for sure. Best of luck and happy hunting !

OP
OP
OWK

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow those are some nice early ones my friend. Those 1700s American coins are not easy to find. I'd be seriously wondering if there's some super early silvers hiding in that ground.

I am considering it a personal mission to pull some early silver out of this place.

It isn't easy hunting though. Part of the park complex is an old iron ore mine bank and foundry dating back to the early 1800's.

Hot rocks everywhere.

OP
OP
OWK

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've pulled six LC's out of this place total.

Five were toasted.

One was the nicest LC I have ever found. A little worn, but otherwise near perfect.

So now I have to combine old, and nice...

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Wow! Great site you are at. That Flowing Hair looked like a DB to me but I really can't tell with me eyes and that photo. I really hope it is a Flowing Hair! That is like #1 on my wish list! Congrats on some great coppers. Please post some close ups of obverse and reverse if you get a chance.

OP
OP
OWK

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Great site you are at. That Flowing Hair looked like a DB to me but I really can't tell with me eyes and that photo.

It is a Draped Bust... (corrected myself earlier.)

I don't have a lot of experience with early US coppers.

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Sorry that I missed your correction OWK. You may not have a lot of experience with early coppers but you are learning quick! Can't wait to see what else you pull out of that site.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Great draped bust and Nova. Any 1790's US copper is a good find

Aug 5, 2015
Detector(s) used
Entry level POS that I found in the thickets along a river.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the most ancient American cent.

The Dirt Pirate

Dec 21, 2015
Los Angeles CA/ Las Vegas NV
Detector(s) used
White's GMT, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab SDC 2300, White's DFX, White's MXT, White's XLT, Garrett 2500 GTI, Fisher F75, Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab GPZ 7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep it's time for you to hit that site hard. You're bound to find something even more awesome than the old coppers.

OP
OP
OWK

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After the first large cent, I started cherry-picking.

Basically, I dug anything that sounded like a trash-can lid, and had a VDI of 80+

I have 3 LC's, a watch, and two boy scout neckerchiefs for my trouble. (and a whole bunch of hot rocks).

But I think I've learned to tell the difference between the hot rocks and legit targets.

We will find out soon enough... I want silver.

I'll be going back for a slow and methodical search in the next week...

Digging it all.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great group of coins! I would definitely go back. Congratulations

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the old copper finds! :icon_thumleft:

Take your time (low and slow) and get the silver coins.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Toasty or not, the three of em are great and we'd all love to find them, great job!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OWK DANG NICE FINDS ...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread