1783 Washington unity token/coin beginners luck on steroids.

NHDirtShark

Greenie
May 25, 2022
Took my great nephew, 13 metal detecting the other day. His first time.
Then we found a crotel bell and a couple of buttons from say, 1820-1850, and worked on the hot spot.
He is swinging my spare detector, a Simplex. He hits on a high tone and I swing over with the Legend. Great signal...

We dig it and he reaches down and pulls up something round we thought it was another button...nope.

It was a copper coin. A coin that had me confused and excited. Never saw one before and had no idea they existed.

Stamped 1783, with what looked like Britannia on the back, but said united states. So I knew it wasn't british, thought it was a state copper, but no....

It was a Washington token. Commemorating the rev war, mint date of these is sketchy, likely 1820 or so.

Anyway, a wonderful unique and surprising find. I let my nephew keep it telling him it is a very special coin. Without a doubt the coolest find I have seen pulled out of the ground.

It did look better in person, did my best with the pics.

Attachments

• 20230902_140014.jpg
    20230902_140014.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 105
  • 20230902_140021.jpg
    20230902_140021.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 93
Upvote 26

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Nox,,Whites Eagle Spectrum,Whites Coinmaster 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Then we found a crotel bell and a couple of buttons from say, 1820-1850, and worked on the hot spot.
He is swinging my spare detector, a Simplex. He hits on a high tone and I swing over with the Legend. Great signal...

We dig it and he reaches down and pulls up something round we thought it was another button...nope.

It was a copper coin. A coin that had me confused and excited. Never saw one before and had no idea they existed.

Stamped 1783, with what looked like Britannia on the back, but said united states. So I knew it wasn't british, thought it was a state copper, but no....

It was a Washington token. Commemorating the rev war, mint date of these is sketchy, likely 1820 or so.

Anyway, a wonderful unique and surprising find. I let my nephew keep it telling him it is a very special coin. Without a doubt the coolest find I have seen pulled out of the ground.

Very cool find. Congrats!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tried to clean up the image..

coin.jpg

pjad57

Apr 17, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What size is the coin? The back or reverse side image is referred as a “sitting liberty”. Here is a little more information with estimated value:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice...congrats on that beautiful piece of history !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread