1786 Half Real, Shoe Buckle, Buttons, Round Balls

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a few hours this morning to sneak out before I had to come home and clean up the yard. Things started extremely slow and I was just having one of those days where you can't seem to get a nice solid signal. You know one of those days when you start thinking your machine is having issues. Well sometimes you're just not getting over a good target. I was about to leave with my tail between my legs when I got a nice low 80s hit and pulled out a shoe buckle. The guts were in the hole but it wasn't attached....I'll take it 8-). This style is a bit different than others I've found. That find got me re energized a bit and I hit a button soon after then another. One looks like silver. It may be plated and I don't have the coast slime disease completely cleaned off yet but we shall see. I started heading away from the river and got a nice solid 80 hit about 5" down. Pretty shallow for this dirt and I was shocked to see a small Spanish silver coin peeking out. It turned out to be a Carolus III 1/2 Real. I will NEVER get tired of seeing these come out of the dirt. I just love the designs on these coins. A couple of roundballs are from last weekend and one of the buttons has a backmark that is new to me. It says WILL M CLEAVER LONDON. Hopefully somebody knows something about it. I also discovered a large iron patch today and in a couple holes found some dish ware frags. Might have to dig and sift this spot. Anyway I hope everyone is getting some sun and I'm hoping to get to some of the exciting new spots I've got lined up soon. Be well Tnetters
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
This is a new buckle style for me as well. What was this used for?
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Upvote 33

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Ahab8,

You had one fantastic hunt! Congratulations on the very nice selection of period artifacts recovered.

Regards,

Professor

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW !!! Awesome finds! Nice variety, love the buckles, and that 1/2 Real.............. NICE !!! I'm still dreaming of finding one of those. Congratulations brother!

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Sweet finds Abe, to think I was satisfied with KGIII and button I dug today! Nice spanish silver, I hope I find one sometime. a
Those shoe buckles are pretty nice too, I have yet to find a complete one

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the coins, of course, coinshooter that I am. But I also love those little, ornate buckles from back then.

Nice!

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't help you with any info on the button, but I'm curious also. Found a Will'm Cleaver button back in January.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta love the days that produce both coins and relics!

I dug two of those buckles last Fall and maybe they do date as early as 1770s or 80s, but they certainly would have been around a while after that. The only military sign that was found at either site was fragments of an 1812 British Artillery hat badge.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that was a good little hunt there!!!
The whole shoe buckle still eludes me..
The reale is nice but, that sling buckle definitely is the find of the day. I would definitely display that with the musket balls you found at that site.
This pic should help..

Attachments

• 1429530005932.jpg
    1429530005932.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 1429530018745.jpg
    1429530018745.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 70

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You're getting the coil over some really nice stuff already Abe, liking the buckles and who wouldn't love a silver like that coming out of the dirt. Congrats on the recoveries, best of luck on the return hunt.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very well done Abe. Congrats on the Spanish and the buckles.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That's quite a day Abe. Think you might have to hunker down at that site as you could be onto a serious pile of relics there. Love that sling buckle. In all my years of hunting I've only managed to dig one of them, and it was at a c1705 house site near a productive trash pit. It's one of my favorite finds. Also, I tried looking up that backmark in my 2 books as well as googling, but could not find an reference to Cleaver. That's strange as I've seen several others posted so you'd think they'd be listed somewhere.

sling buckle.jpg

Jyverb64

Oct 30, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer Se Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the buckles and Spanish silver what a great day

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys! I appreciate the pics and info. I'm psyched with the buckle and of course the Spanish always makes my day

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Abe, great finds!! I liked you a whole lot more when you were buried under 2 feet of snow!!! Great job on the real and sling buckle.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Abe, they will be welcome additions to your collection! Looking forward to your hunt on your new research :thumbsup:

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
My man!!Killing it out there with the T2!

You are a shoe buckle magnet..

~Blaze~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread