1786 New Jersey Nova Caesarea--Colonial toast--but a clean Colon matters :-)

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
came from the farm field with a thick coat of black and green. extensive cleaning with baking soda, 800 grit, electrolysis, & peroxide-- the final result is enough details to make the ID. part of UNUM is visible, obverse appears to be "date under plow beam" variety. some were minted in NY, so resting at a farm in Kingston, NY fits with all the other relics these fields are releasing from their grip. back today for more:laughing7: IMG_2912.JPG IMG_2913.JPG

Upvote 12
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Love the old coppers! Congratulations on the find!

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you were able to ID that. Slick coppers are such anti-climactic finds. Congrats!

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is definitely not the date under plow beam, the horse head is shaped wrong. Don in SJ may be able to identify the variety, he is the man on NJ coppers. If he doesn't spot the thread, PM him.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Camel Head" variety ? ? ? ... Struck over Connecticut copper ? ? ?

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is definitely not the date under plow beam, the horse head is shaped wrong. Don in SJ may be able to identify the variety, he is the man on NJ coppers. If he doesn't spot the thread, PM him.
Don has been working on the exact variety since yesterday evening, and yes I knew right away it was not any of the date under the beam ones, however it is a 1786. I have it narrowed down to two varieties, and should have it figured out this morning.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After doing a tracing of what features I can use for IDing, I will say it is a 1786 Maris 24-P variety. It is a tough one due to condition and the Obverse photo appears to be an angle shot that distorts spacing between details. If it is not a 24-P the other possibility was a 1786 Maris 21-P, but when I did the tracing the contour of the chest of the horse matches the 24 Obverse and not the 21. So will be logging it in the survey as a 1786 Maris 24-P unless someone can prove otherwise. :)

I always recommend taking before and after photos in a standard photo position, a lot of times something will show on the before shots that will be lost on the after cleaning photo, since dirt and corrosion seem to mimic details a lot of times, also head on shots are the best to do.

The 1786 Maris 24-P is listed as a Common variety but I really think it is not, it is only the 4th one out of over 530 NJ coppers ID'd by variety in the survey, so that is nowhere near a common find comparing to other varieties reported found......

1786 New Jersey Copper - Maris 24-P

OP
OP
P

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
new photos after more cleaning shot without angle. this coin was just a metal blob when it was exhumed, major thanks to Don in SJ. location of farm find is Kingston, NY. IMG_2914.JPG IMG_2915.JPG IMG_2916.JPG
After doing a tracing of what features I can use for IDing, I will say it is a 1786 Maris 24-P variety. It is a tough one due to condition and the Obverse photo appears to be an angle shot that distorts spacing between details. If it is not a 24-P the other possibility was a 1786 Maris 21-P, but when I did the tracing the contour of the chest of the horse matches the 24 Obverse and not the 21. So will be logging it in the survey as a 1786 Maris 24-P unless someone can prove otherwise. :)

I always recommend taking before and after photos in a standard photo position, a lot of times something will show on the before shots that will be lost on the after cleaning photo, since dirt and corrosion seem to mimic details a lot of times, also head on shots are the best to do.

The 1786 Maris 24-P is listed as a Common variety but I really think it is not, it is only the 4th one out of over 530 NJ coppers ID'd by variety in the survey, so that is nowhere near a common find comparing to other varieties reported found......

1786 New Jersey Copper - Maris 24-P

OP
OP
P

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest: