1789 what is it? its my oldest to date.

basstrackerman

Feb 15, 2007
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
can anyone tell me what this is? i found it tonight in my neighbors yard. i found it with a tesoro silver umax at 5 inches deep.its the size of a dime but half as thick.,its my first 1700's coin!!

Attachments

• IMGP3074.JPG
    IMGP3074.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 936
Upvote 0

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
basstrackerman said:
can anyone tell me what this is? i found it tonight in my neighbors yard. i found it with a tesoro silver umax at 5 inches deep.its the size of a dime but half as thick.,its my first 1700's coin!!
Looks like Spanish...a Reale..plenty of folks here will ID it dead on.

GREAT find for Ohio....heck...for anywhere!

vision quest

Jul 8, 2007
RENSSELAER, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Excalibur II
Minelab SDC 2300
Not sure what it is but would love to find one. Basstracker is right , "someone here will be able to identify it"!! good luck.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, what a find!!!
Did you say you found it with a Tesoro Siver UMax? They are great machines!!!
Tesoro RULES, and so do you.
Congrats on an awesome find.
-MM-

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find. Definitely spanish. Looks like either a half reale or a reale. Can you post a picture of the back?

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Yep, a Reale; post the back and we'll know how much. You don't really want to keep that; I have a Reale disposal service if you'd like to unload it ;D. A very nice find.

Joe G

Dec 3, 2004
Long Island
Detector(s) used
Exp II, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think what you have is something like this. (I'm no expert in this stuff... just like finding info). Anything on the back? (this one's an 8 Reale)
6110.jpg

It's a Milled Bust Type: The fifth and final type of Spanish colonial silver coin design in the New World. Struck at the Mexico, Lima, Bogotá, Guatemala, Potosi, Santiago, Popayan, and Cuzco mints in the time period of 1771 to 1825 - all with dates.

Design Characteristics: Machine struck on a round full-sized planchet. One side displays the bust of the King, the other side a pair of pillars separated by a crowned simple shield with lions, castles, pomegranate and the centralized three Fleurs-de-Lis.

How's that look?

OP
OP
basstrackerman

basstrackerman

Feb 15, 2007
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its what joe said. the back is too hard to read. but that is it. thanks joe. now, anyone know the value ? maybe couple bucks? no matter, i finally made it to the 1700's!!! its very exciting to see something this old come out of the ground.this is why i metal detect. thanks all for helping me out.

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
I found an 1810 Reale in Southern ohio under the football bleachers of our high school... it is from 1918.... it is odd how these coins turn up in odd places... very cool find my friend... may never find another.. or may find more tomorrow

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are one lucky guy finding that in a yard :o :o :o

jonw440

May 26, 2004
Central,MA
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, M6, Classic ID
What a way to break into the 1700's!
I have found only worn out corroded copper coins from the 1700's but never silver.
You found a great coin!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
basstrackerman said:
its what joe said. the back is too hard to read. but that is it. thanks joe. now, anyone know the value ?

Got to be worth at least $25, someone will offer more?

Joe G

Dec 3, 2004
Long Island
Detector(s) used
Exp II, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
basstrackerman said:
its what joe said. the back is too hard to read. but that is it. thanks joe. now, anyone know the value ? maybe couple bucks? no matter, i finally made it to the 1700's!!! its very exciting to see something this old come out of the ground.this is why i metal detect. thanks all for helping me out.

I took a look around ebay and didn't see any silver like yours going for over $50. I guess condition and rarity is the big thing... All in all, that's one really cool find though. You hold something like that in your hand and you ask yourself, "how did this get here?" "who was the last person to touch it?"

Congrats!

OP
OP
basstrackerman

basstrackerman

Feb 15, 2007
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i played in that yard as a kid and had a club house not 15 feet from the spot i found the coin. how many times have i stepped on that spot growing up??? this is what feeds addictions. lol to be honest, i dug alot of can slaw in that area, i was almost tired of digging. the signal was the same as the aluminum, very loud like a whole can under ground. then out pops this tiny thing that changed my day.im a corrections officer and a foster parent to 3 young kids. was a very rough day until tesoro,my little buddy saved the day. lol im going back there thursday after deer hunting.

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a "Reale" nice find!!!!

Heckuva good way to break into the 18th century too....with SILVER!!!!

WTG!

HH,
SgtSki

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread