Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I have been detecting on and off since I was a kid. I bought my CZ in Feb. and started hunting again. I had never found a 1700s coin until today. :D There was a French and Prussian battle here in 1794. The coin is about the size of a half dollar. Today of all days,it was extremely muddy because of the melting snow. It was a great way to close out the year. I also found two minies and a Nazi coin and an old button.If I turn the button at an angle I can barely see a 5.If it was not for the snow knocking down the grass, I would not have hunted this area so I am going to try and quit complaining about the weather. Any info on the silver coin would be great. Thanks ,happy New Year and Happy Hunting!! :)

Attachments

• Dec31^01 resized.jpg
    Dec31^01 resized.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 545
  • Dec31^02 resized.jpg
    Dec31^02 resized.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 544
  • Dec31^03 resized.jpg
    Dec31^03 resized.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 557
Upvote 0

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Awesome find!! I bet that coins worth a ton, 30 sols is alot. Whoever lost it must have been financially set back a few bucks :-\

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Absolutely wonderful! I'll bet you've been smiling at everybody lately.

And just think, if you weren't hunting, chances are this coin would never have been found. Now it's out in the open for you and many others in the future to enjoy.

It looks like maybe the plow caught it a few times but that's okay, she's still awesome!

Great job!

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's called a silver jeton. ?Louis the 16th on the bust. ?Very nice find and welcome to the 1700 club, LOL! ?Good you got out! ?One good thing about winter, it does knock down the grass ?and weeds. ?HH and Happy New Year, Mike

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Way To Go...What a great begining to a New Year......Great find ....

Before 1794:
French currency ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?1800s US value (in gold) source of valuation
1 denier
3 deniers = 1 liard
12 deniers = 1 sol, or "sou" ? ? ? $0 .01 E
20 sous = ?1 livre (silver) ? ? ? ? ? $0 .20 E
120 sous = 1 ?cu (silver) ? ? ? ? ?$1 .20 E
4 ?cus = 1 Louis d'or (gold) ? ? ?$4 .80 E

Note the same ratios (12 and 20) between the French "denier," "sol," and "livre" as for the British "penny," "shilling," and "pound" (though the French currency had lost more value over the centuries). This 12-and-20 pattern was also seen, before Napoleon's time, in the coinage of many Italian states ("denaro," "soldo," and "lira").

OP
OP
birdman

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike, I like the 1700s club thing.It took me long enough to get there. LOL Now if I can just find one Roman coin ,I would be set! Happy New Year to all and thanks for looking. :)

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice way to end the year ;) the old silver is always nice to find!!!!!!! Seeker

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.
Birdman, Great Finds as Always, The Only thing I can Tell you about your Coin is that it was Minted in 1792. I Guess that I am not a coin expert. Have A Great New Year. trk5capt...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread