twister

twister

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2005
Springfield, MO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe elaborate on what each image is.
Are they the details and scroll work on the headstones?
The markers are towards the back of the cemetery. The front has real head stones. The newest 1898. At the back there are many of the stone markers. They are all soldiers from the War Of 1812. There are also many more soldiers there that have no marker.
The pics are basically just showing fossils on the stones which I thought is intriguing.
I guess metal detecting has definitely made me a small historian after 26 years.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The markers are towards the back of the cemetery. The front has real head stones. The newest 1898. At the back there are many of the stone markers. They are all soldiers from the War Of 1812. There are also many more soldiers there that have no marker.
The pics are basically just showing fossils on the stones which I thought is intriguing.
I guess metal detecting has definitely made me a small historian after 26 years.
Thanks for the additional info. Coming across an old cemetery like that would be interesting to see all the dates and sayings that accompany some of them.

Because of metal detecting, I find myself being more interested in history as well.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I seriously hope sometime I can fly to Philadelphia and rent a car and trace the route of my ancestors and visit their graves as they moved west over the centuries. The oldest headstone picture of one online I found was my 4th great grandmother. The headstone now appeared broken and laying flat on the ground.

Rhoda Goble Brandenburg​

BIRTH30 Sep 1788
Washington County, Pennsylvania, USA
DEATH31 Oct 1857 (aged 69)
Liberty, Union County, Indiana, USA
BURIAL
Silver Creek Cemetery

Liberty, Union County, Indiana, USA
Daughter of Caleb and Sarah (Leasure) Goble.
Wife of Henry Brandenburg, who she married on May 23, 1809 in Warren County, Ohio by George Harlan Esq.
Henry was born in 1776 in Somerset Co., PA and died 1874 in Union City, IN.

Attachments

• 159904576_9f3502eb-c5e6-4d0f-bc04-049d4c33ab55 (2).jpeg
    159904576_9f3502eb-c5e6-4d0f-bc04-049d4c33ab55 (2).jpeg
    29.5 KB · Views: 6

TDogger

Jan 22, 2016
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400, Garrett Freedom III, Garrett ADS Groundhog
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I seriously hope sometime I can fly to Philadelphia and rent a car and trace the route of my ancestors and visit their graves as they moved west over the centuries. The oldest headstone picture of one online I found was my 4th great grandmother. The headstone now appeared broken and laying flat on the ground.

I've been documenting my ancestors' grave sites for several years with headstone photos, GPS locations, etc. I hit the 100 mark last year with the 100th ancestor. It's a lot of fun. I even found the graves of my great-great grandparent who nobody living remembers. Some of the old cemeteries are extraordinarily interesting.

It's a good idea to document these things for future generations.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions