1794 Liberty Cap large Cent

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
CKK went back to the latest vanished homesite. Last week it produced a nice KG I, and 2 other colonials for Kyle. Kirk found a decent KG II and a Draped bust largie. I was skunked for coins. I did manage to find a button and a chicken toy which I am including in todays finds on this post. Today was a whole other ballgame for me. I found CKK's favorite coin of all times. Well at least realistically the favorite. A chain cent would trump it but my hopes are not up to that scale. A Liberty Cap ( Thicky ) Large cent is premiered ultimate if you ask me and this is exactly what I found. Not 30 minutes into my hunt my Whites Vision did it's thing and told me "Dig this obvious Copper you lunkhead" So I did. I immediately started to swoon and stammer out loud to K & K who wasn't 10 yards away. " It's a Thicky" over and over. I was about to do the Gibbon dance like I did last year when I found my last thicky but soon got ahold of myself and calmed a little. High fives and hand shakes were passed around liberally. 1794 Liberty Cap Large Cent to go into my collection. My first thick one this year. My 3rd over all. I found a half cent a couple of years ago. I did find a Liberty Cap thinny this year also. I just love how you can read ONE HUNDRED FOR A DOLLAR on the side of the coin. I see a new spot on the horizon for Sunday. :thumbsup:
Chris

PIC00004.jpg
PIC00007.jpg
PIC00008.jpg
PIC00009.jpg
PIC00010.jpg
PIC00011.jpg
PIC00012.jpg

Upvote 4

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a Beautiful coin, Zeus! The detector gods were smiling on you condition-wise today. The gods cursed me today--I dug my second dateless Coronet of the year. :-\ I guess turnabout is fair play though--usually the coppers up there are toast and mine are pretty decent.

Congratulations on the banner. You may already know this, but the pewter rooster is part of an early whistle similar to this one:

rooster.jpg

Best Wishes,

Buck

Attachments

• rooster.jpg
    rooster.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 3,751

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chris,

Pure... AWESOMENESS. I'm dumbfounded. That is beyond cool. Beautiful, beautiful condition for a dug coin. And 1794, no less!!

That is one sweet site.

Although strictly speaking, I may have you guys beat on a find as far as age (see upcoming post) ;D ;D, I have never found any coins that could touch that. Yet.

Keep at the digging, guys. Your colonial and post-colonial museum is well underway.

-Chris

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the series of pictures of the edge.... that coin is the real deal! :icon_thumright: Congrats! :headbang: :hello2:

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's one nice coin. I like the lettering on the outside. One hundred for a dollar?? Is that what it says? I'd love to break into the 1700's

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
When I saw this up in the banner, I just knew it was going to be one of you guys!

There are literally dozens of varieties of the 1794 LC. I hope Don is able to get an ID for you on yours!

That is a beauty regardless of what the reverse looks like.

Congratulations on making the banner!

Neil

Jimmy(PA)

Jan 3, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 and a Minelab Explorer XS with Gray Ghost Originals
Wow thats awesome, I have found two but both mine have been worn and I never even knew they had writing on the edge like that. I wish the coins here came out of the ground in that condition.

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one heck of a coin.( great condition) Now I'm getting fired up! WTG

Keep on Digging!! John

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Just have to say, that Obverse has some of the nicest details on an early LC that I've seen posted in a long time. What a coin!
Congrats. :thumbsup:

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
That is one heck of a find right there. Beautiful detail. Congrats big time. :thumbsup: jgas

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay now what is this?...... :laughing9: :laughing9: :notworthy: :headbang: No I'm just messing buddy you guy's are great and put your time in and all and have done well for sure.This was a super find and in great condition to boot. I'm HAPPY FOR YOU GUY'S always nice to see your post and now your Banner CONGRATS!!!!!! Cris. :headbang: :hello2: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright: Now Get to that new site and do it again.CKK :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :headbang:
TK, :hello:

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Just a WONDERFUL Liberty Cap.......congrats!!!!!.........got a lot of large cents and colonials but not 1 Liberty Cap............just awesome!!!!........if that coin could talk!!

Great job, keep up the awesome research and recoveries!!!!!!!!

HH all!!
Greg

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great looking LC, like the edge pics :thumbsup:

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate to point this out but that coin is obsolete send it to me and I'll send you a fresh shiny zincoln. :laughing9: Really though even through my envy I am happy 4 u congrats on the banner and a superb find! :notworthy:

teddy

Nov 7, 2009
Supreme once in a lifetime find :icon_thumleft:

That coin could be lightly cleaned (reverse side only) by a pro (nobody else) and it's worth $$$.

The front should never be cleaned. it's perfect as is.

Personally I'd never sell it.

Congrats.

teddy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions