1797 Draped Bust LC and a button

Murray8144

Aug 20, 2015
Essex County, NJ
Detector(s) used
eTrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Part of my job involves historic preservation and historic property evaluation. I had a job in eastern PA today...a 200-acre national register listed farm. The owner said the land was an original grant from William Penn, and that the house was built in the late 1700s. After taking care of business I asked permission to detect. I only had an hour. About 1/2 hour in I got a $$$$$ 12-47 at 6"...that's the kind of hit i'm after. Dug this, my 1st 1700s LC

IMG_9130.JPG

I've now dug 4 LC's since I started last fall, and this one is in by far the best condition. I guess PA soil is kinder than NJ. I'm hesitant to clean it any more than just the light wiping i did...i'm afraid of ruining it. I had a 2-hour drive home and I must have picked it up and fondled it a dozen times. Very happy with it

Also pulled a button

IMG_9131.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 24

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome find. I would leave it as is. Is the back toasted?

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the look of that LC. She's kind of two faced. Half brown and half green. Very nice!

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Murray; PLEASE Post a picture of BOTH sides. Then We can help you Grade it better ok. The Obverse is a strong VF40 - XF Corrosion. With the Corrosion factor the Grade drops by one Grade value wise ok. PEACE:RONB

BIENER

Apr 27, 2016
Indiana
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
AT Max
Racer 2
CORS Fierce coil
CORS Fortune coil
CORS Scout
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is exactly the reason why I've come to enjoy this hobby. You just never know.. Congratulations on your find!

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool dig you have! Oh, and that job sounds pretty enjoyable and interesting too... Very very cool all around!!

OP
OP
Murray8144

Murray8144

Aug 20, 2015
Essex County, NJ
Detector(s) used
eTrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Murray; PLEASE Post a picture of BOTH sides. Then We can help you Grade it better ok. The Obverse is a strong VF40 - XF Corrosion. With the Corrosion factor the Grade drops by one Grade value wise ok. PEACE:RONB

looks like pig vomit lol

IMG_9138.JPG

that job sounds pretty enjoyable and interesting too

It's an awesome job. Been doing it for 15 years. I only wish I had discovered metal detecting earlier than last year.

Last edited:

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better late then never.... But i hear ya loud and clear.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could peroxide the crust off the reverse but that would damage that awesome two tone patina on the obverse. I would leave it exactly as is and try to pick at it a little with a toothpick.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; I recommend using a solution of 50% Lemon Juice & 50% water. Let it soak overnight. The next day use a wooden toothpick and GENTLY "push" the loose dirt off. It will take a while to do completely but the end results are definitely worth it. It looks like you have dirt that has solidified onto the coin. The Lemon Juice soak will remove that and not hurt the coin ok. Be sure to rinse the coin off after each toothpick use. You will be happily surprised at the results ok. It looks like the Reverse is also going to be a VF40 - XF as well. Great find. PEACE:RONB

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a stellar coin, I hope you can get back there sometime and see what else there is to find.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful large cent recovery, congratulations! :occasion14:

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
BEAUTIFUL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the sweet 1700's LC and the button Murray. :occasion14: Maybe you should go back some weekend and pull a 1700's silver. :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread