New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Past few days I have not been finding much, today I went to a soybean field and found a fairly nice Draped Bust Large Cent. I'm thinking it is a 1797 Gripped Edge Draped bust, but don't go by my ID, I'm not 100 percent sure, if anyone can ID it let me know please? I'm going to put allot of pix up. I also rooted up a no date buff with four legs, buttons, lead, wagon brake and maybe a part of a barrel spigot? Here is a link to what I think it is.
https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-explor...pscid-13/1797-gripped-edge-1c-ms-coinid-11416
Enjoy the Pix
HH & GL
Brad Resized_20170312_125459.jpg Resized_20170312_153457.jpg Resized_20170312_160924.jpg Resized_20170312_153408.jpg Resized_20170312_161547.jpg Resized_20170312_163520.jpg Resized_20170312_162828.jpg

Upvote 26
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sweet finds, congratulations on the LC! :notworthy:

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice early large cent :occasion14:

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VERY nice LC! Should clean up nice! Post a cleaned pick and I'll get variety ID for ya. Congrats........Hogge

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That 1797 Draped Bust Cent is NICE! :occasion14:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice going on the old LC, should clean up really nice.

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds, congratulations on the LC! :notworthy:
Thanks Professor.

Congratulations on the Draped Bust L.C.
Any 1700 coin is a very sweet find.
Thank you ATW

Very nice early large cent :occasion14:
Thank you

VERY nice LC! Should clean up nice! Post a cleaned pick and I'll get variety ID for ya. Congrats........Hogge
I think that is as clean as I'm taking that one, I don't want to put any oil or wax on her until I knew what she was. Thank you for your help Hogge.

That 1797 Draped Bust Cent is NICE! :occasion14:
Thank you

Nice going on the old LC, should clean up really nice.
I'm not sure I'm going to be able to get it any better than that, thank you for the nice reply.

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Barrel tap for sure. Also congrats on the awesome coin!

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice Brad. I'm glad you gently cleaned that one and kept it out of oil. I've a good handful of 1790's US coppers, but I don't think any are as nice as that one. Cheers

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
WOW Bradley!

Congrats on the elusive 1700s US coinage.

I see that coin often in my dreams, but never in my holes!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other

I think that is as clean as I'm taking that one, I don't want to put any oil or wax on her until I knew what she was. Thank you for your help Hogge.

Congrats on a really nice find! I am sorry to say but it is going to be hard for Hogge or anyone else to verify the Variety without at least a little more cleaning as well as a pic of the edge. A soaking in Mineral Oil and light picking using a green Rose Thorn still attached to a stem, should do the trick. I have never damaged a single Copper Coin with a green Rose Thorn while the coin was coated in Mineral Oil or Extra Virgin Olive Oil nor have I seen one damaged that was cleaned using the same technique. However, it is your' coin and your call as to how to proceed!

Frank

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the nice old copper and other finds
Thanks Art

Very nice Brad. I'm glad you gently cleaned that one and kept it out of oil. I've a good handful of 1790's US coppers, but I don't think any are as nice as that one. Cheers
Thanks Steve

That draped bust might clean up pretty well... Be interesting to see how it works out!

Skippy
Thanks Skippy

WOW Bradley!

Congrats on the elusive 1700s US coinage.

I see that coin often in my dreams, but never in my holes!
Hopefully on your trip up! Thank you

Congrats on a really nice find! I am sorry to say but it is going to be hard for Hogge or anyone else to verify the Variety without at least a little more cleaning as well as a pic of the edge. A soaking in Mineral Oil and light picking using a green Rose Thorn still attached to a stem, should do the trick. I have never damaged a single Copper Coin with a green Rose Thorn while the coin was coated in Mineral Oil or Extra Virgin Olive Oil nor have I seen one damaged that was cleaned using the same technique. However, it is your' coin and your call as to how to proceed!

Frank
Thanks Frank, the dirty pix are very deciving, gives the coin a look of raised detail when in fact the vertiginous has eaten the detail down into the coin. I might try your suggestion in a few days, I'm just not sure it's going to get any better. Maybe I'll go down to the coin show I believe it is coming soon to Baltimore. I can take that and a few other coins I have and get a look first hand from some experts?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread