1798 Draped Bust Large Cent

Mi$terG

Jan 25, 2013
Eastern MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
It's been a little while since I've been able to post, as I haven't been out as much as I would like in the past several months.

Anyway, I was able to get out for a few hours today at a local spot that I've had my eye on. I've actually put in some time here when I've been able to get out- but haven't had much to show for my efforts. This changed today! As I was swinging the small coil on my AT Pro, listening for deep high tones, I got a repeating whisper- registering an 83 - at max depth. I dug the entire length of the Lesche blade and flipped out the plug- then scanned again- this time an 84- much clearer. I took three or four handfuls of dirt out and got the pinpointer in the hole- nothing there- it was in the dirt that I pulled out. This target was deep. I quickly discovered a big copper, and hoped out loud that it would be a large cent. I had never found one in 4 years of detecting and was hoping to find one soon. As I looked it over, the dirt was really caked on so that I couldn't make anything out. I decided to wait until later to see what it was.

About an hour later the suspense was killing me so I decided to have another look at it in direct sunlight. Gently brushing some dirt off, I caught a glimpse of the wreath and "ONE CENT" and said out loud "YES!" Imagine my surprise when I got home and had a closer look at it only to find the date 1798 on the obverse! What a find.

Any suggestions on cleaning? I gently brushed it with a toothbrush in water and then rubbed it with my fingers to bring out the relief. It's amazing- can't stop looking at it. Thanks for looking in and best of luck. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1457921813.308608.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1457921855.997892.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1457921871.113328.jpg

Upvote 4

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats buddy! Be careful with that one. Just nose grease on the high points for pics but I don't believe you're going to do any improving on that baby. That one could go bad in a hurry. Any 1700s American coin is killer to me brother. Glad to see you out

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh that's great. Any DBLC is a great find. Any 1700's one is ever sweeter. Great work man!!!

OP
OP
Mi$terG

Mi$terG

Jan 25, 2013
Eastern MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Congrats buddy! Be careful with that one. Just nose grease on the high points for pics but I don't believe you're going to do any improving on that baby. That one could go bad in a hurry. Any 1700s American coin is killer to me brother. Glad to see you out

Thanks man. Will take your advice. It's awesome as-is.

OP
OP
Mi$terG

Mi$terG

Jan 25, 2013
Eastern MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Oh that's great. Any DBLC is a great find. Any 1700's one is ever sweeter. Great work man!!!

Thanks much! I'm heading back there to see if it had any friends that were hiding from me today... Will keep you gents posted.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great coin recovery, congrats on your first

Top Member Reactions