1798 large cent

moah4me

Aug 24, 2011
caledonia new york
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
I found this on Saturday metal detecting i have done some on line research. I know that it has a large 8 with the 2ND hairstyle and has about 1/3 rotation errore . What i would like to know is if the rotation error is common and what you think the condition is on it and of course the estimated value?

Attachments

• coin.jpg
    coin.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 406
  • coin2.jpg
    coin2.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 358
  • coin.jpg
    coin.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 338
  • coin2.jpg
    coin2.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 322

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
For an accurate grade and value, need to see coin cleaned and in better focus. Can't tell is coin has a gouge obverse or not: could be a tree needle or something on the coin. Hope so. If coin has a gouge, it will lose at least a grade in value.

Were I you I would invest in a small bottle of acetone (fingernail polish remover). Dip a Q-tip in the acetone then swirl over the surface of the coin. Acetone reacts only to organic material, such as soil, and will not affect patina. If the Q-tip gets dirty, use another. Q-tips are cheap, 1798 coins are not!

OP
OP
moah4me

moah4me

Aug 24, 2011
caledonia new york
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
It is not a gouge but just a small piece of grass that blew on the coin. Sorry about the quality of the pics but that is about as good as I can get

Trokair

Mar 26, 2010
Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, White's Spectra V3, Minelab Excalibur II 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a really nice cent. Mind if I ask what kind of location you pulled it out of?

OP
OP
moah4me

moah4me

Aug 24, 2011
caledonia new york
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
It came out of a corn field luckily no plow damage! I do research a lot of old maps and find old houses in what are now fields and woods this house sat on a small knob in a field near scottsville NY. I found it maybe 10 or 15 feet from the edge of the road after 3 hours of walking up and down the corn rows.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use true acetone, not polish remover. Nice find!
HH
enamel7

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Based on your identification of the grass blade, coin could be somewhere between Fine-12 and Very Fine-20, based on Ruddy's Photograde.

Description of both
Fine (F-12): Obverse: about two-thirds of the hair detail will show. The hair will be smooth above Liberty's forehead, the top of her head, and to the left of her neck. Reverse: Some of the leaves will show individual separation.
Very Fine (VF-20): Obverse: Almost all the hair will be visible but will be worn flat on the higher points. (Note: coins made over 150 years ago were often unevenly struck or have imperfections that cannot be standardized in any grading book. Reverse: Each individual leaf will be well defined with little detail showing.

Meaning at the least this is a several hundred dollar coin. But to get that in today's market would have to be slabbed. I'd suggest ANACS for this one, as it is a dug coin.

And I should not have suggested nail polish remover, as that is not as potent. Do buy a pint of acetone at a paint shop or home building store. A pint container kept tightly shut when not in use should last for several years, and is good for cleaning all your dug coins.

Given a cleaned coin and better photos, would attempt to give a more accurate grade than above. There is wiggle-room in this range for this coin, and it might grade higher for some people.

Coin really needs additional conservation/cleaning, even just to obtain a good grade.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions