18 x 15 sef coil

oldisnew

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2010
just recieved my 15 x 18 sef butterfly coil. arrg. the coil will not pick up a guarter at 4 inches. kellyco ad says it will find a single coin at 20 to 26 inches. by the way im using a dfx. called kellyco they said this coil is not sensitive enough to find coin sized objects.not what there ad says.they said i couldnt send it back because i already used it. boy that makes a lot of sense. so im trying to find a way to make this coil work even if i use it just for relics. need info on what signals to look for and settings . has anybody had anyluck finding coins with this coil. i am using the dfx maxed out sens 85 dc 60 preamp 4. it runs pretty stable at these settings. how can i set up the dfx to be more sensitive to coins. please help me . thanks.

Smokin_Cache

Jul 13, 2006
Gulf Coast Texas
Where did you read that SEF would hit a coin at 20+ inches. I have been thinking about buying a SEF and have never read that anywhere. Can you provide a link? One of those and I would be done for the day! LOL

OP
OP
O

oldisnew

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2010
you can find this ad by typing in a search(why buy a excelerator coil) a kellyco site should come up click on that. when i called kellyco they said there was no such thing.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Smokin_Cache said:
Where did you read that SEF would hit a coin at 20+ inches. I have been thinking about buying a SEF and have never read that anywhere. Can you provide a link? One of those and I would be done for the day! LOL
Agreed. Be careful what you read.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you air testing it, if so I would ignore the airtests... I have the Sef 15" x 18" Butterfly for my Sovereign GT and I was digging deep targets with it last year at the beach. first day I found 2 rings with it, a gold then a silver wedding band...... I like it, and it was as deep as my WOT, bigger footprint, but also a lot heavier....I made a bungee for it that is twice the diameter of my old bungee on my chest harness, after making the new bungee it is a breeze to swing it...

OP
OP
O

oldisnew

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2010
talked to jw at kellyco. said that the coil sounded defective. sent it back . trading for a 12x15 sef coil. hope it works. new coil should be here next week or the week after. ill keep everyone posted.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions