180? Draped Bust largie

Mikecoy

Jan 20, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is there anyway to clean this up or is it complete toast? Still can't believe I found this!

image.jpg image.jpg

Upvote 2

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all congrats. Second if you can recognize what it is and almost get a date it's not toast. As far as cleaning many times I find there is more too loose than gain ... So don't be aggressive. It's neat it's old and it's a great largie so love it just as it is!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find! Don't get hung up on getting a date. Just put it in a holder and enjoy it. I've got quite a few that are dateless. Just put your efforts into finding the next one. You never know you might get a beauty some day

OP
OP
Mikecoy

Mikecoy

Jan 20, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How many different years does the U in United look like two capital I's together?

image.jpg .

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pix are so bad its hard to tell, but looks like dirt. Did you attempt any kind of cleaning? I'd say if you put it in mineral oil for a very long soak, you will in a few months come out with some nice detail. Hot peroxide bath then oil, same result, little faster. The hot peroxide won't hurt the coin, just the dirt. Sometimes the dirt enhances what little detail there is. Bottom line is you have what you have. NGC does shorts soaks in distilled water first, acetone next, then xylol. After that they reverse process if more cleaning needs to be done.
Great find, congrats!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the 1801 would be the one with the II. It also may have 2 other errors including 1/000 and also only one stem on the reverse

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yours does look to be the 3 error variety but it's tough to tell with the blurry pics. Very nice find

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Abe 1/000? That's pretty cool, worth much?

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Abe 1/000? That's pretty cool, worth much?
It's fairly valuable in decent condition. There was an error in the fraction and instead of 1/100 of a dollar they put 1/000. It's about $350 in vg and 800 in F. VF jumps to about $2500. Then the dreaded "dug" designation kills that nice value lol. I've found one DB that I could prob pass off as not being dug. But they are few and far between

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions