1800s hotel and bar

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
I was semi-dreading going to a holiday party last night, but on the way we go down this side street and there before me is the remains of an 1800s old stone building right smack in the front yard of a more modern home. This thing is the size of a home itself and a real eyesore unless you have an interest in history or detecting. Couldn't imagine how it hasn't been torn down by someone. I wake up this morning and go to the property owners house and the guy is a great guy and tells me he's been told it was an old hotel and bar. How could my luck be this good, I'm thinking. He was fine with detecting and just said watch out for snakes. He also pointed to a pond/lake across the road and said that he was told the people from the hotel and bar used to go swimming there, so I'll be asking permission for that from the guys across the street. Anyway, I'll hit this spot Sunday morning with True Metal and see what we can find. Hopefully it hasn't been hunted, since it's not on a main road and on private property.

Upvote 0

wayne

Mar 22, 2003
granger,wa.
bergie - you are a true metal detectorist at heart to even think about going into that bar if it's as aged as you say. so the nice man warned you about snakes. did he also warn you about spiders or rotten floors that may drop you into the basement where the alligators are hanging out? gee - i sure wish that i was going with you! have fun. wayne

OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Hey, Wayne. It's actually not bad in that the whole inside of the building is gone, as is the ceiling, just the outside walls remain. The inside appears filled with leaves, junk dirt. Not sure even sure if there are any floorboards left of what. It might go all the way down to the ground. My main interest is in detecting the outside area, but of course I'm thinking about what could have been inside the building. I don't have much experience checking the inside of an old building, but I gather many good things could have fallen into it. All I know is drunks tend to lose things, so hopefully there will be some good stuff from an old bar. Will keep you updated.

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, we hit this place today for a bit. No old coin finds on the outside, just newer pennies and iron pieces. The perimeter looks to have been graded to build the newer house nearby. The inside is totally safe (no roof) and the rest is solid stone walls. The inside was unfortunately used for dumping, with metal scraps and junk everywhere! any coin or caches would had to be masked out from the litter. The junk needs to be removed so we can get some clean signals.
This place is really cool and i want to go back for another shot at it sometimes as it reeks of old gold to me. Maybe Bergie will snap some shots of this place for all to see, as i think you all will dig it (no pun) 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread