1800s Schoolhouse Site Gives Up Her Last Two Indians

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
1800's Schoolhouse Site Gives Up Her Last Two Indians

This first picture is of the "playground" of a one room schoolhouse that stood from the mid-1800's to possibly the 40's. I dug an 1849 large cent here and one of my latest coins was a 1944 Merc. There are no signs there was ever a school here. The white violets carpet the area and the butterflys and birds are the only signs of life these days. The sounds of laughter of the school kids have long faded away and only when i dig up one of the coins that they lost do i imagine i can still hear them. Over the past two months I've dug a fascinating collection of relics and coins,including what i assume is the doorknob to the front door of the school, but today,after six hours of carefully gridding the area, I'm convinced these are the last two Indians hiding here ;D Hope you enjoy the pics. Buckleboy,here's the overall finds picture you've been looking for.On to another schoolhouse site!!
Jerry

Attachments

• playground.JPG
    playground.JPG
    198.2 KB · Views: 669
  • 1899 in glove.JPG
    1899 in glove.JPG
    184.5 KB · Views: 653
  • indians cropped.JPG
    indians cropped.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 647
  • schoolhouse overview.JPG
    schoolhouse overview.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 663
Upvote 0

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1800's Schoolhouse Site Gives Up Her Last Two Indians

AMAZING finds!!!!

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Holy crap Jerry ;D....you dug a TON of sweeties out of there. Lots of injuns popped out of that place for you as did all the silver. :thumbsup: That's good huntin' my friend.

OP
OP
Ohio Jerry

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX

unclejesse67 said:
That's an awesome bunch of finds. How did you locate the site?
[Check your library for old surveyors maps,houses are simply marked with a dot but the schools have a dot with the word "school" beside it]

OP
OP
Ohio Jerry

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX

silverfreak said:
Holy crap Jerry ;D....you dug a TON of sweeties out of there. Lots of injuns popped out of that place for you as did all the silver. :thumbsup: That's good huntin' my friend.
Thanks,i never grow tired of diggin Indians

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jesus H, you've been busy!  Nice work on locating such a productive site!  This is really a great haul from a schoolhouse.  I'm glad you posted the photos--they put everything in perspective.  Loads of nice oldies there.  And I agree that the doorknob was probably off the school.   :thumbsup:

I also have to say that this post was lovely in the way it was written, and the photos were First-Rate.

plehbah said:
You found THREE old cents, including two Indian Head pennies.

Old coins remain at the old schoolhouse!!!

I'll agree with you, in a way, plehbah... but I have to explain.

After six hours of gridding the area, I'll agree that there isn't much left... You could widen the search area out more and maybe nab a few more keepers, but that's a lot of work for very little reward already--and it will be harder with even less reward the next time. 

BUT there's one thing I'm missing in that photo.  I don't see a single nickel.  And with so many IH's coming up, I have to ask if you know what an old deep nickel would read on your detector.  There should've at least been a few V nickels or early Buffaloes there. 

Either way, you're right that it's about time to move on to another site.  Keep the research flowing and the great finds will never be too far behind.

Regards,

Buckleboy

urnotalone1970

May 8, 2008
chicago, il
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

wow...pics were awesome. i agree kinda puts everything in perspective. beautiful area to just hang out (ok ok dig up). must have been relaxing as well as exciting. neat finds...and yeah where are the nickles? ??? whatcha gonna do with the knob? tlc :icon_sunny:

TimC (North Alabama)

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2007
Cullman, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelabs-Garretts-Fishers-Teknetics-Whites-Nautilus-Tesoros'
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Man, thats quite the collection and some amazing finds. I love you thoughts on hearing the laughter of the kids playing.

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other

Nice job Jerry,you have done well on that site.Don't think it's hunted out yet,I have thought that about a few of my sites and they still pop out and old coin every once in awile. ;D HB

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jerry,
The finds you have from that site are fantastic. :thumbsup: Your write up and display are just as nice too.
What an awesome post. Congrats to you. :icon_king:
-MM-

Joe G

Dec 3, 2004
Long Island
Detector(s) used
Exp II, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Man, that's quite a haul from the place! GREAT display!

HH!

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

What a beautiful spot to hunt, Jerry. It looks so peaceful. :icon_sunny:

You've found a nice amount of coins and relics. Great display! :)

I've hunted a few schoolhouses around here, Jerry, and I've always had good luck.

OP
OP
Ohio Jerry

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX

BuckleBoy said:
BUT there's one thing I'm missing in that photo. I don't see a single nickel. And with so many IH's coming up, I have to ask if you know what an old deep nickel would read on your detector. There should've at least been a few V nickels or early Buffaloes there.
It IS very curious that no nickels have come out of this site. I've recently dug a my first "V" nickel at around 5-6 inches and Buffalo nickels from other sites and I'm certain i haven't passed on any of these low VDI signals. In fact this overview picture doesn't show about 20 shotgun shell caps that came from the area.I dig just about anything on the positive side of the graph except single digits which always seem to be pop tabs and catsup packages. I guess the pennies and dimes were plentiful and easier to drop and lose?

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x

Very nice group of finds

OP
OP
Ohio Jerry

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX

urnotalone1970 said:
wow...pics were awesome. i agree kinda puts everything in perspective. beautiful area to just hang out (ok ok dig up). must have been relaxing as well as exciting. neat finds...and yeah where are the nickles? ??? whatcha gonna do with the knob? tlc :icon_sunny:
Thanks,it is a very relaxing site,there are a lot of different birds around and some with some very unique songs. I've switched from the heavy, bulky Whites headphones to a lighter weight set from Garrett.I still hear the tones just fine but also get the enjoyment of the sounds of the woods.That has been a big part of my enjoyment of this site. The doorknob is my magic ticket to step back in to the past,I just turn it and suddenly i can hear the crotal bells ringing on the harness's of the draft horses that are pulling the sleigh up to the door of the schoolhouse in the dead of winter with a foot of snow on the ground... ;D sorry,I'm a nostalgic kinda guy

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's a great bunch of finds---Congrats and WTG :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Spots like that are few and far between.

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark

You got all of that from just one site!? Thats totally awesome! Looks like you have been busy! Love all the coins! Keep it up! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread