2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Upvote 0

SteveCM

Jun 18, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own some land near Nevada City CA where some hyrdaulic mining was done. While digging a trench in the previously mined area I saw some darkness like a sediment layer at about 3 feet below ground. It was a layer of charcoal, some hard but some soft. There were "veins" to use the term loosely going through the charcoal layer of a hard but brittle rock like deposit, silver in color, with some tiny square gold colored crystals like pyrite. This stuff was inside the burnt wood. Non-magnetic but set off my Wright's MD. Is it possible that this was an old burnt down sluice ? It was not where I would have expected a sluice to have been used, but maybe a used sluice with deposits still in place ? rock1.jpg rock31.jpg

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own some land near Nevada City CA where some hyrdaulic mining was done. While digging a trench in the previously mined area I saw some darkness like a sediment layer at about 3 feet below ground. It was a layer of charcoal, some hard but some soft. There were "veins" to use the term loosely going through the charcoal layer of a hard but brittle rock like deposit, silver in color, with some tiny square gold colored crystals like pyrite. This stuff was inside the burnt wood. Non-magnetic but set off my Wright's MD. Is it possible that this was an old burnt down sluice ? It was not where I would have expected a sluice to have been used, but maybe a used sluice with deposits still in place ? View attachment 1603186 View attachment 1603187
I read that pyrite crystals often form in sedentary rock that contains organic material. Looks like that may fit your description.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is slate. Most likely quartz veins in it. The crystals are most likely pyrite.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I own some land near Nevada City CA where some hyrdaulic mining was done. While digging a trench in the previously mined area I saw some darkness like a sediment layer at about 3 feet below ground. It was a layer of charcoal, some hard but some soft. There were "veins" to use the term loosely going through the charcoal layer of a hard but brittle rock like deposit, silver in color, with some tiny square gold colored crystals like pyrite. This stuff was inside the burnt wood. Non-magnetic but set off my Wright's MD. Is it possible that this was an old burnt down sluice ? It was not where I would have expected a sluice to have been used, but maybe a used sluice with deposits still in place ? View attachment 1603186 View attachment 1603187

Here is a video from the geologist at the Ruby Mine Tertiary Channel near Alleghany. In it he has drawings of the geological layers there that include a charcoal layer. I do not know if your layer is the same as in the video but the geology of that specific site is explained as best as they can deduce.

bug

Jun 5, 2008
Nor Cal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wanted to end with this; when you see evidence of old sluices and small piles of even sized rocks, keep walking. All you will find is nails and hot rocks. Those old timers got most of the gold and your time would be better spent searching for some undiscovered virgin ground.

Some of those tom piles pay well to hunt, some dont. A good minelab and the right pile will change your mind in a hurry.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread