Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Got a call from a friend this afternoon that was working a construction job in the old downtown area, and he told me about an interesting feature behind the cement foundation of a building being torn down. I went over and we checked it out together. Initially our probing seemed to confirm that this might be a privy. But as I probed a little further out all of a sudden my probe did a freefall and I could tell I was on the edge of a large, hollow area of some sort. Thought at first it might be a cistern, but I could eventually see that nice looking circular brick pattern across the top. So it was definitely a well, and was about 6 feet in diameter. It had been partially covered with a 2-sided porcelain advertising sign along with some other immovable materials. We were able to open it up just enough to get a 12 ft stepladder into the well upside down. There was no water in the bottom, so my friend climbed down to check things out. He probed quite a bit into the soft bottom but wasn't getting any indication of debris. That was a little surprising as usually when a well is abandoned the owner fills it with trash. Based on the look of the brick I don't think it was colonial, although there were homes in this location in the 1700s. My best guess is mid-1800s, but that could be off a bit. Anyway, after completing the painstaking task of getting the ladder out of the hole we covered it up safely with some of the demolition debris. Was a lot of work for nothing, but you just never know when you might hit the mother lode.

Attachments

• 100512a.JPG
    100512a.JPG
    323.8 KB · Views: 157
  • 100512b.JPG
    100512b.JPG
    167.9 KB · Views: 162
  • 100512c.JPG
    100512c.JPG
    271.4 KB · Views: 163
  • 100512d.JPG
    100512d.JPG
    157.4 KB · Views: 152
  • 100512e.JPG
    100512e.JPG
    253.7 KB · Views: 172
  • 100512f.JPG
    100512f.JPG
    232.1 KB · Views: 172
Upvote 2

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool. Keep the signage and have a dealer check it out for you. The cigarette one may have some good value to it.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is just too cool.:icon_thumleft:

VaMark

Jun 3, 2012
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
GPX 5000, XP Deus, AT Pro, Silver U-Maxx, Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your right, you just never know and have to check it out. Did you detect around the area any?

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's Awesome! Even the walls of a hand dug well look like the work of craftsmen. Just another lost skill because of progress. Thanks for sharing the pictures! :icon_thumright:

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Neat story Bill,
Up here we got open wells everywhere in the woods,
I've never gone into one, but you really gotta keep in mind that they are there, and wide open...
One I know of is 15 feet from the side of a state road,
another is hardly visible as it is in a small stream.
Thanks for the great pix!

Attachments

• NH FINDS 04-10.3.jpg
    NH FINDS 04-10.3.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 139
  • NH FINDS 09-28.6.jpg
    NH FINDS 09-28.6.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 138
  • NH FINDS 11-30 036.jpg
    NH FINDS 11-30 036.jpg
    633.6 KB · Views: 169

rex

Apr 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i find it quite amazing how those old wells are built and maintain their shape even in cold climates. i have found a lot of the stone lined wells over the years and very few are caved in.

VB Sanddigger

Sep 6, 2008
Suffolk, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That makes for an interesting day! You'ld never catch me going down there!

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I"m a bit of a "Chicken" when it comes to climbing down into deep areas such as pits, wells, etc. but, if you want to do that I guess it's on you. Be careful for god sakes and use a bit of common sense when you're out there.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Great pics Bill. That was a really neat find. Next time it will be loaded with pontiled flasks!
-Evan

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, well, well....I've always been told that's a deep subject :laughing7:

To bad it wasn't full of pontil marked bottles. But it had to be investigated and you did. The signs may be the real treasure.

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pleeezzzzzeee, keep in mind methane is a poisons gas. It can kill you in jig time. It is heavier than air and settles in low confined spaces. It is created by decomposing organic substances.

This means a well with dead leaves, branches and moisture can create a killing gas that can't get out of the bottom of the well. At best a portable blower with a hose that can reach the bottom of the well would be desirable.

There are a goodly number of people killed in industrial accidents every year from entering a confined space with no ventilation.

Broken knee

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2009
in your back yard
Detector(s) used
excal 2
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being a well you should have removed the first foot of soil your probe will miss the coins! Privy's = bottles wells = coins, make a wish everyone throws coins in a well? HH
BK

b7seas

Aug 12, 2012
Northern Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-2 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Bill, Good find, however, I don't think that it's a water well. The pipe coming in the side of the structure looks more like a sanitary pipe. What you found, I believe, is a dry well or nowadays referred to as a sewer. We have a lot of those old things all over northern Wisconsin. They are the precursor to what is now called a septic field. Up here, a lot of those dry wells are still in working condition. Gotta admit, though, it sure is a beautiful structure.

Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread