Westmoreland County, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher F5,
Garrett ATP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

We finally had a nice day here yesterday so I decided to get out and do some detecting for a couple hours. Wasn't doing too good at first and then I started to hit a few headstamps. Got about 7-8 and decided to call it a day.

I was close to a site where I have found flat buttons and copper largies before - call it my colonial site. I never end a hunt when I am in that area without going there. Was only there a few minutes when I got that iron "growl" from my ATP, but I noticed a nice mid-high tone mixed in there.

Kept on working it and was getting numbers in the mid-70's. Pinpointed it and said was about 10" deep. Started to dig a bit and the iron growl went away and I was getting good high numbers but nothing steady. Took another scoop of dirt out and used my pinpointer in the hole - nothing!!! Checked the dirt pile had a hit - moved a little bit of dirt and there she sat!!!!! I knew it was a copper coin but not what kind until i got home and cleaned it up.

Its an 1803 Draped Bust Half Cent - my first half cent so far!!! Looks to be in good shape considering it has been in the ground for about 200+ years!!! Have pulled a few LC's from this area but this is my first Half Cent and it is in great shape.

dirt1_zpsai9aofrw.jpg1803%20front2_zpsuktzidt7.jpg1803%20rear2_zpskgovhhtx.jpg

Upvote 19
Awesome date and find :occasion14:

Wow, great find! And the condition is real good as well. I have several and they all look like dog ****.

Very nice looking Half Cent. It looks a lot better than my 1804.

Congrats on your first half cent. My first half cent was also an 1803, and it was also dug in Westmoreland County, PA near Ligonier.

Congratualtions on the nicely detailed old copper! :occasion14:

Love it. Wonderful addition to any collection...cheers!

One less coin for me to find Great find that's what makes all worth while.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back