Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend who is moving to the next county has a grand looking old brick home that is well over a century old. Thankfully he has allowed me to check out the property. :)

A few nights ago I spent 90 minutes checking out half of the front yard... only finding some clad and the usual junk. Today my brother-in-law and I were going to check out a picnic grove.... but upon arrival we found it occupied. :( Since we were not too far from my friend's yard, we headed there for a few hours....

The initial finds were similar to the earlier hunt.... a quarter here, a dime there... some Asian coin (?) and the junk finds. One find that I thought was junk turned out to be this coin... its slightly smaller than a quarter, and thinner too. It is bent, but I could tell it was copper, and had a small rim around the edge.

So, I thought, its probably not an electric box knockout... maybe its a token or something. Certainly it was something I had not seen before in my limited experience detecting. No doubt about this- its definitely rough!

Well, I got it home, and soaked it in the hot peroxide, hoping to see something. Using the loupe, I started to get a few shape outlines.... much to my suprise the outline matched the picture of a draped bust half penny! :hello2: :notworthy:

Unfortunately, there isn't much left... I can make out "Liberty"... a "5", and the outline of the head. Nothing except for a "c" shows up on the back - its worse than the front. :(

So this after a year of detecting and I finally get something close to the 1700s (my oldest coin to date was a 1868 Indian ) and it turns out to be rough. I guess its a consequence of the soils in PA.... and gives me hope that some good stuff is still out there!

The pictures suck, sorry about that! Its part due to the quality (lack of) of the coin, part due to the camera, and part due to Mach 1 Pilot's photographing abilities...

Attachments

• 1902 half penny a.jpg
    1902 half penny a.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 502
  • 1802 half penny rear a.jpg
    1802 half penny rear a.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 465
Upvote 0
F

Felinepeachy

WOW, good for you. I would be happy finding that even if I could never make out the date. Just knowing it was that old would be a thrill. Great job and I hope you find many more. :thumbsup:

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread