1806 Draped Bust Quarter...Counterfeit????

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this coin today at an 1850's home (supposedly there was an older homesite on the property).

First thought when I pulled it out was a token, it was really gross and couldn't see any details.

Cleaned it a bit more and realized it was a US 1806 Draped Bust quarter. Scratched like no coin I've seen before.

I was skeptical...

First, the dirt wasn't cleaning off nicely like most silver coins. Secondly, I just weighed it after getting home and the scale says 5.5 grams. Online says it should be 6.74 grams.

Edit: forgot to mention it rings up a 60 on the deus, much lower than I'd expect for a silver quarter

Can any experts help me out here? If anything, seems like it might be an old counterfeit.....

(the pics are sideways on the preview but I noticed if you expand them they show right side up. Not sure why this is an issue..)

Attachments

• 20180812_152409.jpg
    20180812_152409.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 400
  • 20180812_152424.jpg
    20180812_152424.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 282
Last edited:
Upvote 33

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It might be counterfeit but, it’s a very cool find. Heck, I might even take that over a real one! You’ve got a keeper there.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is a fake it's likely an early fake - I'm not convinced either way - but the wear and tear seems to be honest .

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
How does it ring up? Is it high like a silver quarter, or lower like a pot metal fake. What about a seam around the edge. Does it make the ringing sound when dropped?

It would be so cool if it were real... but alas, I fear not...

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I agree,it's still a great find.Congrats.

OP
OP
grasshopper

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How does it ring up? Is it high like a silver quarter, or lower like a pot metal fake. What about a seam around the edge. Does it make the ringing sound when dropped?

It would be so cool if it were real... but alas, I fear not...
Yeah, forgot to mention that in my post. Rings a 60 on the deus, I would expect a silver quarter to be 90+

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting find, hopefully the next one is the genuine article!

With the lower density/weight i'd assume it was cast out of some sort of Tin alloy, like Britannia metal or Pewter.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
still a very cool find, still part of our history. and guess what, we are still getting scammed even today!

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's super cool! Lately I've been finding a lot of contemporary pewter counterfeits of silver coins in our area. So far I've found a fake DB half, capped bust half, and one that's unidentifiable. Yours is in far better condition that the ones I've found, but it seems that there was a solid counterfeit industry up here in the early 1800's!

Rubka888

Jun 13, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a great find even though it isn't real. Maybe someone tried to use it and the other person was skeptical and decided to drill a hole in it? That would be akward.. Whoever made it did a good job.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is a really nice find! :icon_thumleft: The coin looks a bit clipped, but I'm not sure that would account for the weight loss. Is the 60 VID out of the ground testing? Either way I think you have a very interesting find!

Congratulation! :occasion14:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Actually it looks like a contemporary counterfeit, and a killer find that shouldn’t be dismissed.
Certainly a great early counterfeit that was well made. A lot of counterfeits of that era was silver plated or silver washed copper, but yours looks more like a billon material. I’m not entirely convinced either - there’s always an off-chance it could be very worn, although 1-1/4 grams is quite substantial. What’s catching my eye is the sharpness of the details. I wish I could zoom in on your pictures but my phone isn’t allowing me.

And sometimes crust does attach to old silver. A friend of mine found an encrusted 8 reales in the woods once that looked counterfeit due to the impossible brown crust on it. After much cleaning it was a 1750’s 8 reales Spanish coin.

And as far a vdi - it’s not always reliable, even on a Deus. Did you scan it again out of the hole to make sure it didn’t ring higher? There always a chance it was on edge.

Last edited:

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very interesting and cool find for sure. If it was a contemporary fake then it looks to have been a very good one

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread