1807 over 6 Draped Bust Cent found

kuletule

Nov 28, 2004
I have been up here in Virginia working, in my second career as an insurance adjuster. I was out hunting after I finished my last claim for the day. Sometimes to unwind, I try and get in a little hunting. I got permission to hunt an old house. I was really excite about hunting this area, as it was really old, and potential was good to great in my mind. After finding 3 recent coins, I got a signal that just sounded a bit bigger and had a different quality of sound on my ETRAC. I dug a plug with my shovel, and uncovered what I thought was a mid-`800's large cent. I couldn't make it out too well, but then, I saw the figure wasn't right. What is this, some foreign coin, I thought......then I turned it over and saw "ONE CENT" on the Reverse. What??? I turned it back over, and licked the front.....mmmmmmm Virginia dirt! LOL I still couldn't see what I wanted, so I walked back to my truck, and got my magnifying glass....OMG A Draped Bust!!!!

I looked lower for the date....the coin was minted 31 years after our country was founded.......an 1807 Draped Bust Cent!!!!!! Happy Dancing started in my mind as my body, if I ever started, might jiggle apart at my age!!!!!!! I was exstatic as you can imagine. I called my hunting buddy back home, Robert, to Brag....just a bit...we tease each other, but if truth be known, he is a better detectorist than I......Anyway, he called back later after he got my message and told me that one of them was really rare.....an 1807 over 6 stamp. I told him that was not what I had....darn the luck!

When I got back to my RV for the night, I went across to my neighbor, who is really interested in metal detecting, after having talked with me about our wonderful hobby. I told him to get a flashlight, that I wanted to show him why I metal detect. He brought one out, and shone the light on the coin. Time for surprise number 2........I am pretty certain I see the 6 beneath the 7 on the Obverse of the coin. He asked why I was so excited. I explained to him that the coin was a rarity. There is another, more rare, but this just topped the cake with icing for me.

She shattered my previous record on age, by some 40+ years. After all my hard work here in Virginia helping folks with their floods from Hurricane Irene, and just before I leave, the good Lord has blessed me with such a great part of our history.......that is her meaning to me. Most of our Founding Fathers were alive when she was made......it is an awesome save from the ground. I will remember the hunt for many years to come.....she may not be in the most pristine condition, but, OMG, how awesome that she has graced my collection....

HH

Dennis, who woke up with a beautiful lady this morning

Attachments

• 1807 cent.JPG
    1807 cent.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 1,477
  • Back of coin.JPG
    Back of coin.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 1,461
  • closeup of number.jpg
    closeup of number.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 1,472
Upvote 0

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
7 over 6 a definite.....see it plainly.
Great find!!! And great explanation, to go along with it. It was minted when many of our founding fathers were
still in the fight for freedom. It will be a fitting addition to your collection.
Good hunting......

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find! If the coin has a blunt "1" in the date it is a common variety. If it has a pointed one, it could command some hefty prices if it was in good condition.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's definitely a pointed "1" variety. I'll try to pinpoint the exact variety for you. Pointed "1" is the common variety. Blunt "1" is Rare.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sheldon 273...Very Common......Pointed "1" large "7". Often with weak edges. :thumbsup:

JRich98150

May 29, 2007
Middleburg, Florida 32068
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
When I was young ..... several years ago....my brother, Father and myself used to belong to a coin collecting club. One of the lectures was about how drinking was very common back in those days, especially since the water wasn't especially treated and safe. It was explained that there were quite a few mint errors and "quality" inspection of the coins was poor at best. I've often wondered if that was really the case. It did make sense to me though. Sure was nice of the fellows at the mint if the story rings true. Congratulations on a very nice find there!

JRich

Troyounce

Nov 18, 2003
Clyde,Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
GP3000
TESORO LOBO
GARRETT GTI 2500 + Eagle eye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! What a great find! :icon_thumleft:

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Thanks for posting, kuletule. Got me thinking.

I pulled out my large cent collection and looked at my 1807/6 large cent, and mine does not look like the pointed 1 variety. Purchased it from a lady in Salt Lake City several years ago, who had a coin dealer helping her collect in SLC. My coin has pitting around the fraction reverse, so can't be sure of the blunt 1 on the fraction. Don't think this is the place to detract from kuletule's find either.

WTG! A really nice specimen! Hope you can figure out a way to clean it better without damaging it: looks to be in really good shape, just a lot of crude cemented onto it.

AGBlex

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
southern, Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
such an awesome error coin dug up after so long. great find :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tuberale said:

I pulled out my large cent collection and looked at my 1807/6 large cent, and mine does not look like the pointed 1 variety. Purchased it from a lady in Salt Lake City several years ago, who had a coin dealer helping her collect in SLC. My coin has pitting around the fraction reverse, so can't be sure of the blunt 1 on the fraction. Don't think this is the place to detract from kuletule's find either.

WTG! A really nice specimen! Hope you can figure out a way to clean it better without damaging it: looks to be in really good shape, just a lot of crude cemented onto it.
GUYS! Blunt "1" is not in the fraction.....It's in the date. His date also has a Large "7" which is NOT an option in the "Blunt 1" variety. Although a nice find.....it is what it is. Sheldon 273.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
hogge said:
Tuberale said:

GUYS! Blunt "1" is not in the fraction.....It's in the date. His date also has a Large "7" which is NOT an option in the "Blunt 1" variety. Although a nice find.....it is what it is. Sheldon 273.
I believe I stated the blunt 1 was in the date Hogge. I'd be happy to PM you 2 photos if you'd like to look.

treasurepirate1

Aug 21, 2010
Ontario canada
Detector(s) used
fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
correct me if i'm wrong but I believe i'm the first to say to you welcome to T NET and very nice coin i have yet to find one that old or rare.

JW15

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705 w/DD coil Backup- 505,305.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions