1809 half reale found in CA (and evolution-of-site story)

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
For those who wonder how to find sites with potential to give up old coins, here's an evolution of a site, with before and after pix. Typical of a site which we md'rs should be looking for, and the results of this one-such site. :ar15:

First, are pix of a ho-hum late teens home. These were snagged off of google man-on-street view, of the view in my town. Probably from earlier last year. It's just a block or so off of our oldest (1860s origination) side of town. But as you can see, this particular home is only 1910s-ish. It happened to be vacant, and for sale, as you can see in these pix.

Untitled1.png

Untitled4.png

Same house from side-view:

Untitled7.png

At a certain point last summer or fall, the house apparently sold. The new owner (someone from out of the area, who bought it as a rental investment), hired contractors to come in and totally over-haul the place. One of the things they did, was to scrape off the ratty fluffy crab-grass in the front. Here's a pix of when they'd just gotten the grass tilled it up with rototillers, but not pulled too much off.
2012_04_23_17.57.05.jpg

2012_05_26_13.32.23.jpg

A friend "Dave" and I checked the yard at this time (with the permission of the spanish speaking landscaper, since my friend speaks spanish :)). We got a lot of clad, and a few wheaties. But it was plainly evident that there was just still too much fluffy top soil. We even labored to flat shovel a lot of the fluff aside, thinking we'd get to some older coins. By doing that, we got some wheaties and a random buffalo or silver, but .... just too much soil to move around, so we left. Here's a pix of Dave doing some shovel effort on the fluffy loose stuff.

2012_05_26_13.32.41.jpg

Then one day a few months later, we noticed they had resumed working on the yard. They'd scraped off all the fluffy top soil, and taken out the concrete borders. Here's some pix of how that looked (after the grass had already started growing back, so this pix was a month or so later). Notice how the level is now level with the sidewalk, as opposed to the earlier shots, where the grass was a step "up" a bit from the sidewalk.

2013_02_06_16.15.35.jpg

2013_02_06_16.15.54.jpg

So we hit it hard more, again going off the earlier "ok" from the hired landscaper from last year. (House still vacant and undergoing remodeling on the inside and outside). This time we started getting better older stuff. I never kept my stuff separate, so I don't have pix of my coins from this site. But Dave did his stuff separate for these pix. My stuff was, as I recall, an IH, wheaties, a V nickel, some mercs, etc...

Dave kept on the site for several more times, and kept getting interesting stuff. For starters, he found this token. The guide book price is from a 1976 Kappens book, so that "$15 price" is way out of date. The token was ebayed for $160 shortly after it was found.

005.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

And in addition to barbers, some IH's, etc... he pulled up an 1867 Shield nickel, and an 1809 half reale!

2013_02_06_16.01.55.jpg

2013_02_06_16.02.34.jpg

2013_02_06_16.03.23_1_.jpg

2013_02_06_16.04.54.jpg

All the other coins (barbers, V's, IH's, etc...) can be explained by the house that is the 10's vintage. But the shield nickel and the half reale sent me researching a bit more. I knew that the side of town this house sits on, that the streets way predate the 1910's. So I hit sanborn maps to see what was on the site in earlier times. The earliest sanborn for our city 1886. You can see from this pix of that map, there was no house on the site, at that time. Instead there was horses stabled here (that's what those shown structures are, is shed & stable coverings and a barn-like structure (as opposed to the letter "D" or "Dwg" for "Dwelling" if it had been a home, on those sanborn maps). And if you look close, you can see "granary" for the horse-feeder (or whatever type animals). So we think that in the 1880's, this was a stable for the hotels and businesses that are a 1/2 block away (as this is just a block away from the downtown district of our city). Our spot is right at the intersection seen there of "Gabilan" and "Pajaro" corner.

fetchimage.gif

Then in the 1913 sanborn, a dwelling is seen, but NOT the home that is there now. It's positioned on the wrong part of the lot, etc... By the 1925 sanborn, the current structure can be seen. So there was an apparent home there from sometime after 1900, until the time that the current house took it's place. Thus homes from sometime shortly after 1900, to the present.

Therefore the older shield nickel, and reale come from the era before homes, when it was just sheds, horses, or whatever. This area goes back to the earliest parts of our city (1860s) is when those streets came into being. So I'm guessing the 1809 reale circulated up till that time. Reales apparently circulated up till the 1860s, as we know, even though a law forbade foreign coins, after a certain date (once the mid 1850s beginnings of the SF mint were deemed to have introduced enough coinage to end the coin-shortage going on). But the earlier coins in circulation (which inc'd reales) continued to be recognized and circulated amongst merchants, despite the law. I have heard of reales being found in western town sites that didn't get their start till after the gold rush people had started coming down and beginning towns down on the low-lands. You know, like oldtown demo sites, sidewalk tearouts, etc... of buildings or streets that didn't come into being till the 1860s. So it's possible that this one saw 50+ yrs. of circulation, and was lost in the very early beginnings of the city here.

Upvote 14

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well that was interesting and well done. It inspires me to hit where some of the cw military forts that were in town which are now yards like that. That google is pretty wild stuff. Nice finds.

califteacher

Sep 30, 2012
Vista, San Diego County, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thank you very much for the time you spent putting together this infomative and educational posting. It goes to show that what someone may take for "just an old yard" can really hold some treasure. It was interesting to speculate what may have been onsite previous to the house being built.

John Boy

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD CAMOUFLAGE,CZ3D 1021,1220X AND GARRETT PRO POINTER.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome hunt and info.congrats on the coins.

MNcoinhunter

Nov 19, 2012
Northern Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Sunray X-5, 6" Excelerator EQ2, SEF 10X12.
Garrett AT Pro, 8X11 DD & 5X8 DD,
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very informative .. thanks !

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for sharing, sweeeet finds!!

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Finds, Tom,

I was born and raised in Salinas and used to metal detect the old schools in the middle of town and in Alisal, (back in the 70's-80's) They always gave up the goods, even with my little White's Coinmaster. That Chualar token is awesome! Best of luck, Sub

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the great research info. It took you a little time to write that up, and it will help a bunch of others. Thanks again.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright: hats off to ya on that one Tom.....made me kind of homesick!I recognized that corner right off....ex girlfreind lived in that neighborhood!

phintar

Greenie
Jan 27, 2013
Amador County CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
REALLY good write up and good info... where do you find the sanborn for your city? This has really inspired me to step beyond the "this is an old yard" to take a look at the whole story behind locations!

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Great write up Tom, A lot of good info, and something we should all remember and look into, Thanks for your time in putting that together................HH

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nicely Done! I love how you did a full historical research on the property.

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

thanx everyone for the input. Consider your post "acknowledged" :)

My friend "Dave" has read all your replies, but doesn't have a membership to post himself. But he's read his well-earned "atteboys" from y'all and says "thanx".

Idaho-tokens, yes you have my permission to use those pix. But it's going to cost you a 12-pack! :)

subterranean, did I ever run into you when you were then? Were you a part of the club that used to be here? (founded 1980, folded mid '90s). I've been detecting here since the mid 1970s, so it's possible we ran into each other at some time. Would love to hear what you got out of the parks and schools, if you started as early as the '70s here.

kuger, here's your personal acknowledgment of your post.

phintar, there's been no shortage of posts on how to gain access to sanborns. Unfortunately, it's not like the old days, where multiple passwords worked to get them on-line. But there are ways. Find past posts on the subject, and find one where I chimed in on it. You'll see the way I got on (in the interest of space and as not to have to re-type-out here).

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanx everyone for the input. Consider your post "acknowledged" :)

My friend "Dave" has read all your replies, but doesn't have a membership to post himself. But he's read his well-earned "atteboys" from y'all and says "thanx".

Idaho-tokens, yes you have my permission to use those pix. But it's going to cost you a 12-pack! :)

subterranean, did I ever run into you when you were then? Were you a part of the club that used to be here? (founded 1980, folded mid '90s). I've been detecting here since the mid 1970s, so it's possible we ran into each other at some time. Would love to hear what you got out of the parks and schools, if you started as early as the '70s here.

kuger, here's your personal acknowledgment of your post.

phintar, there's been no shortage of posts on how to gain access to sanborns. Unfortunately, it's not like the old days, where multiple passwords worked to get them on-line. But there are ways. Find past posts on the subject, and find one where I chimed in on it. You'll see the way I got on (in the interest of space and as not to have to re-type-out here).

....no need to be a smart azz Tom....I tried......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions