1811 Large Cent from PA

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
On one of our trips back home to PA this past week I finally got out to a family owned field I've been meaning to hit for about 5 years now. It seems there have either been crops in the field in the summer, or frozen solid in the winter. Thanks to global warming, I finally got my chance. Driving my gas hog truck around to all my sites finally had some effect :tongue3: :laughing7: (Hmm my wife/book keeper didn't find that one funny :dontknow: )

The silver rosie popped up pretty quick. Then not much for a few hours until the large cent popped out. She was corroded pretty badly but cleaned up nicely. Too bad the obverse is not as nice as the reverse, however reading as how the copper for this series (1808-1814 Classic Head) was softer, I am delighted that there is as much detail as there is. And it's my rarest, low mintage coin to date, Mintage: 218,025 :icon_thumleft:

Found the printing brass printing block close by, wasn't quite sure what it was at first, I've never seen one this big and heavy.

Ah if only there were enough time, chances are I may not get to get back to that field for some time :(

Oh well back to VA and its wonderful fields.

Thanks for looking and HH.

Attachments

• IMG_0524.JPG
    IMG_0524.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 1,041
  • IMG_0525.JPG
    IMG_0525.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 1,026
  • IMG_0530.JPG
    IMG_0530.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,083
Upvote 0

JW15

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705 w/DD coil Backup- 505,305.
Nice one!! :icon_thumright: I know the feeling :thumbsup:

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats Bob on the LC, it may look a little rough but it's a keeper. :thumbsup:

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice largie :thumbsup:

My truck is a monster diesel but i feel safe in it :laughing7:

I would like to buy a lil 4 cylinder site mobile..

Blaze

OP
OP
BobinSouthVA

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
HILL BILLY said:
Congrats Bob on the LC, it may look a little rough but it's a keeper. :thumbsup:

Thanks I agree
johnnyblaze said:
Nice largie :thumbsup:

My truck is a monster diesel but i feel safe in it :laughing7:

I would like to buy a lil 4 cylinder site mobile..

Blaze

I thought about that too, just a little box car to run around in, most of my sites are 20 mins or more from the house.

But, like you, I love my truck and would rather drive in it ;D

Besides where am I going to put that chest of coins I'm bound to dig up one of these days. :tongue3:

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find...What part of pa. ?

U

umrgolf

nice pull, that's a relatively low mintage.. don't think I've ever pulled one that low :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
BobinSouthVA

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
umrgolf said:
nice pull, that's a relatively low mintage.. don't think I've ever pulled one that low :icon_thumleft:

Thanks Jeff, my lowest minted coin so far. Usually I look them up and they are in the 10+mil catagory ;D

texjim said:
i am in the next county over schuylkill..

Ah I couldn't imagine trying to dig up that way, PA is so bad with all the rocks that I'm just not used too. When I dig up there and hit the rocks I think I'm hitting my target.

And this will make you cringe, I can get Yuengling cheaper down here ;D

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Always nice when you can sneak in a little hunting when you're out of town, especially when you can bring home a nice keeper. Way to steal one from the boys up north!

hdmech71

Jan 25, 2012
wv
Detector(s) used
F75 se / Minelab Soveriogn / sunray probe/ whites classic Id/ pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice area to travel back and fourth from. Lots of old home sites along the roads from pa to va (I bet). Maybe you could make a pit stop and pick up a few more goodies along the route. HH

OP
OP
BobinSouthVA

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bill D. (VA) said:
Always nice when you can sneak in a little hunting when you're out of town, especially when you can bring home a nice keeper. Way to steal one from the boys up north!

Thanks Bill

hdmech71 said:
Nice area to travel back and fourth from. Lots of old home sites along the roads from pa to va (I bet). Maybe you could make a pit stop and pick up a few more goodies along the route. HH

Ahhh that would be fantastic, however with the wife and three boys on a 5 hour trip, I think I'll save a trip like that for down the road during retirement. Sounds like a great idea.

Digginbingo

Jan 8, 2012
Binghamton, NY
Detector(s) used
ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Large cents ar always cool... My wife found one when we where hunting around a cellar hole. It was cut in half long ago. It cleaned up ok. but we both wish it was whole.. Still a cool find. If it could tell its story I bet it would be a good one... Nice finds.....

djm of PA

Jun 11, 2010
Carsonville, PA
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac and White's Classic 4
Nice job man, love the largies :icon_thumright: Next time you are coming up, let me know, maybe we can get a group hunt together somewhere.

It ticks me off a bit that you can get Yuengling cheaper than us, I mean it is made less than 50 miles from me, something is wrong with this state >:(

OP
OP
BobinSouthVA

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
wyattrr said:
A Coin Found Is A Coin Rescued...HH

Thanks Wayattrr

Digginbingo said:
Large cents ar always cool... My wife found one when we where hunting around a cellar hole. It was cut in half long ago. It cleaned up ok. but we both wish it was whole.. Still a cool find. If it could tell its story I bet it would be a good one... Nice finds.....

Thanks Digginbingo. I know how you feel, my grandpa dug a cut large cent that has the best detail of any dug cent I've seen, too bad she's not full.

djm of PA said:
Nice job man, love the largies :icon_thumright: Next time you are coming up, let me know, maybe we can get a group hunt together somewhere.

It ticks me off a bit that you can get Yuengling cheaper than us, I mean it is made less than 50 miles from me, something is wrong with this state >:(

Sounds Good djm, just don't hold your breath, we usually only get up there two or three times a year, and most of the trips are hopping from relative to relative but would love to get together. I'll bring the beer ;D

lost hunter said:
good find

Thanks Lost Hunter

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread