1812 Letter From Buffalo NY

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Buffaloe November 27, 1812

My Dear Wife,

It is with a degree of satisfaction I inform you of my health and the greatest part of the Company. Tomorrow at 7 o'clock we embark for Canada - consequently it will be liberty or death - You must excuse me for not writing you more as I am officer of the day and guard both, therefore, I am obliged through necessity to wright at 12 o'clock to night. My love to my parents and relations and tell them the next they hear from me I shall be in Canada - remember me to my Children tell them my soldiers love,

and that nothing but death shall ever part us - You will please remember me to Mssrs. Graof, Barkley, Sollers, Richardson, Taylor, Haslet, Barry and all enquiring friends ---

except my dear wife my
sincere love and esteem

Mrs. Mary Ann Warner

Thomas Warner Esign B. V.

N.B. direct your letters to Thomas Warner Ensign, B.V. care of Major Noon at Buffalo or elsewhere Yours, T. W.

N.B. intended to wright my Brother Andrew but it is impossible at present therefore please show him this letter and with it he will receive for himself and wife, family my faithful boys etc. etc. my -- (Page missing)

Attachments

• 1812 love letter.jpg
    1812 love letter.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 439
  • 11812 love letter second page.jpg
    11812 love letter second page.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 417
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
York (U.C) April 29th -1813- -

My Dear Wife,

It is with sincere satisfaction that I inform you of my being well after a pretty severe engagement. Our Captain has lost his leg, Lester Irvine is badly wounded and poor Hazeltine. They will I expect recover, at least I hope so. I did intend to have resigned after the engagement but now it is impossible in consequence of the wounded officers. For more particulars I refer you to the letter I write my Brother Andrew which I have directed him to show you if you wish to see it. My love to my dear children and be particular with my boy. Love to all enquiring friends, Henry Groff in particular who I shall never forgett --~-------- (one line missing)

My love to the boys. I shall probably write you again in about 8 or 10 days. Our brave general Pike was killed in the engagement---

Except for yourself and Children my sincere love and esteem -

Mrs Mary Ann Warner

Thomas Warner
Ensign Balt. Volt.

Attachments

• lr4a.jpg
    lr4a.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 469
  • lr4b.jpg
    lr4b.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 461
OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Sackets Harbour April l9 1813

My Dear Wife,

I arrived here on Saturday last after a disagreeable journey blocked by ice, snow, etc. We are preparing to move off from here but to where I do not know. Under the circumstances I cannot tell you where to direct your letters which is truly mortifying to me. If I should be spared when I possibly can I will write you. I am rather unwell at present. I hope it will not continue long. Remember me to my children. Tell them I have not forgot them. You please inform my Brother and all those who may enquire after me that I would write them but it is with the greatest difficulty I have time to write this to you, therefore tell them that our regiment is divided and our Company and the Albany Greens are attached to general Pikes Brigade and are to embark abroad of the fleet for some secret expedition which they shall hear of as soon as the nature of it has transpired. Tell them our Company has reduced to 65 effective men out of all

those brave fellow we started with. That their decipline far exceeded any regulars I ever saw, that the British call us the Baltimore Blood hounds. If we should meet with any of them we shall give a good account of them. The beauty of our little fleet surpasses anything I ever saw, I think they can flog twice their number without any difficulty. One of them, called the growler, has gone out as a spie to see whether the coast is clear or not etc. etc. Give my love to my father and mother sisters, brothers & to old seventisixer and tell him I have not forgot what he suffered for my liberties. Neither will I part with them until I suffer full as much. Being hurried I must close.

except for yourself and children My Dear Wife a father and Husbands love and esteem

Mrs. May Ann Warner

Thomas Warner Ensign
B.U.T. Vtrs

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 463
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 464

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread