paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a weird feeling finding something that just might be the rarest thing you'll ever find. When I pulled it out of the ground (at the tavern site with all those 1820's buttons) I figured it was a property tag or maybe a religious medallion. It has a fair bit of corrosion, but thankfully the vast majority of the writing survived.

DSC07724.JPGDSC07723.JPGDSC07718.JPGDSC07719.JPG

There isn't a tremendous amount if information out there, but here's what I've found. If anyone has anything to add that would be terrific; I would love to find out more! Here's a photo of an intact specimen I found online:

AW Hardie.jpg

These tokens were issues by a tailor in New York City and while they aren't dated, the shop was only located at the address on the token from 1826-1827 which gives this token a much more certain, and brief, date range than many from that time period. Incidentally pretty much all of the information that seems to be out there is thanks to Russell Rulau. In his book this token is listed as R-7 for the reeded edge and R-8 for the plain edge. Admittedly this token is fairly worn, but I can't find any trace of edge reeding so this is very likely an R-8 token which means that may be 4 (now) or fewer in existence!

Upvote 13
That's actually why I thought it was a religious medallion at first. The "Clothed Me" was visible before I cleaned the dirt off and with the hole they drilled I thought it was a church keepsake of some kind. They must have been using the phrase as a slogan which is pretty appropriate for a tailor shop!

Congratualtions on the rare token find! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back