May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this one that sold. I'm not sure if they are exactly the same but they look the same to me. If they are the same I think you did very well :icon_pirat:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For sale, 1828 Capped Bust Half counter stamped: HOUCKS / PANACEA / BALTIMORE -- SOLD

Stamped with a prepared punch in the obverse left field, as almost all examples are. The coin is a VF-30 that is unfortunately holed. This does not affect the stamp and only makes it more affordable. Just for comparison, in the last 10 years, the last two 1828's that sold at auction sold for $1430 and $1760. Yes, that’s right, only two examples have sold in the last 10 years! This is a very popular counterstamp and consistently sells well.

Here is the site:

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=7&threadid=750172

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With out a doubt a life time find. Like was mentioned it will always be priceless to you. Once its graded and slabbed id say something worth passing along to the kids. Ive been hunting 17 years now and my wife sometimes thinks im a little nuts at the things i bring home and often laughs when i tell her im building her a nest egg with the old coins and such for when im gone. If i found a coin like that id have to tell her.... sorry hon i plain on out living you.

Dew

mydejavooo

Oct 26, 2011
Hansen, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Whites Spectrum XLT e-series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a really, really cool coin. Definitely a keeper, and sure to appreciate in value. :thumbsup:

DeJa

OP
OP
N

NYwaterhunter

Jul 23, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ANACS Update.
I spoke with ANACS Wednesday.
This is PRELIMINARY only, (because my token needs to pass one final Senior Grader on Monday)
As of right now, My coin graded at AU - 50

There is a possibility of something else that is great about this Coin/ Token but I won't comment until after the final report is done Monday.
(It is preliminary and I don't want to spread a fire if theres no fire)
I will post again after I get my final results Next week.
Happy Hunting,
Gary G.

OP
OP
N

NYwaterhunter

Jul 23, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE:
There is a long but amazing story with this token . I will try to make it as short as possible.
To sum it up:
I found it after being under water for probably 160 years or so
I sent it to ANACS in Co
It graded AU 50 details
There was poor communication between ANACS And I. I thought they said it was Unique overstrike date - That is not true
ANACS took it to Baltimore where it was originally from and to Ca and other states to coin shows all over the US
Then it left Colorado fedex express to Memphis main Hub to Newark NJ
It then went on a tractor trailer in Newark headed to Syracuse (I'm 30 miles from Syracuse)
It did not arrive at my home?????
The fedex trailer went off the road in Tannersville PA and the tractor burst in flames and the driver perished - Very sad but true - Brought tears to my eyes
I contacted State police, News 26 WNEP, Towing company, Fedex several times and gathered as much info as possible.
Back and forth w/Fedex for over a week, found out there was a sealed container sent to either Memphis or Salt lake City w/all the dameged packages (I actually was able to get a picture through the grape
vine, showing the burnt packages. Only the very nose of the trailer was damaged - whats the chances my package was in the nose ?
Today Fedex calls and they have retrieved the Token ! I hope it makes it home!
I couldn't post this because some of ya folks would have gotten to Tannersville Pa before me (I know how it works because I think the same!) and hunted for the Token!
I am writing a story on this. My Token survived about 160 years in water, Flys across the US including Baltimore where it originated, Back to Colorado, Grades at AU 50, then to Memphis, then Newark, and
Burns up in the nose of the tractor trailer after being underwater for 150 Plus years, Travels fedex ground to Utah, gets recovered and is headed back from Utah. --- ONE IN A BILLION ODDS!
Here is the site of the wreck. It is 2 minutes long.
www.wnep.com/wnep-mon-tannersville-...-interstate-detoured-20111130,0,5416243.story
I have been up during the night continuously for several weeks. Restless
Gotta run,
Gary G.

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 771
OP
OP
N

NYwaterhunter

Jul 23, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GOT IT BACK ! Unharmed !
Here are a few pictures

Attachments

• DSC00663.JPG
    DSC00663.JPG
    448 KB · Views: 753
  • DSC00673.JPG
    DSC00673.JPG
    357.9 KB · Views: 818
  • DSC00666.JPG
    DSC00666.JPG
    458.7 KB · Views: 829

aquachigger

Jul 29, 2008
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great find and I loved the post. Thanks for sending over the information earlier. Hope to see you out there!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread