1828 Matron Head Large Cent

bedpanmoneyman

Jun 17, 2007
Lebanon, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Well, it's been forever since I last hunted (and posted)...still working long hours on a project at my old employer who had the nerve to coax me out of retirement for the last 4 months. That gig is almost over, so I'm thinking I need to start getting out some. The sports complex (pic below taken last year) had a lacrosse tournament this weekend so I thought I'd go out after it quit raining for a short hunt this evening...try to get back into the "swing" of things. It was somewhat humid but the temperature was only in the mid 70s. Tents, tables and chairs were still in place, so I had to maneuver around them as I hunted inside one of the tent areas. First I found a presidential dollar coin (Monroe), then some clad and a 10 cent Euro from Germany (only my second Euro). Near the corner of the tent I got a real clear tone, VDI of 86, six inched deep. Well, that certainly wasn't something lost this weekend. I dug down and as I pulled out the plug, I saw a large, green sphere sitting in the bottom of the hole. My first thought...could this be a large cent? I pulled it out...sure enough, an 1828 Matron Head. This is my oldest coin yet...just beating the 1829 LC I found at this same complex 18 months ago. I couldn't believe it. I must have hunted this very area a half dozen times in the last 2 years. How could I miss it all those times? I was so excited, I quit hunting. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• 100_9966.JPG
    100_9966.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 305
  • 000_0033.JPG
    000_0033.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 308
  • 000_0032.JPG
    000_0032.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 304
Upvote 0

Dr. Ace

Nov 4, 2007
South-Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Ace 250
Congrats on the excellent find. I'm sure you'll be heading back there soon. Sounds like a great detecting spot! :thumbsup:

HH,

Dr. Ace

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions