1829 Andrew Jackson Campaign Button, N Y Music Medal

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Hi All,

I got out today for a three hour hunt to an early 1800's house I just started hunting a few weeks ago. My first dig right off the bat was the Ny Music medal it was really cool to dig it and a good way to start off the day. i do not know that date of the medal if anyone knows that would be great. I then dug 1954 Rosie and a bunch of wheaties seven in all mixed in with all the junk finds. I then dug this round flower looking thing, which I have no idea what it is. Dug some more junk and whats it things then I dug a 1947 Washington Quater and it is always nice to the contast between the silver and the black dirt in the hole. Well it was getting late and my last good find of the day ended up being the best of all. I dug a little cuff size flat button before the sun went down. I do enjoy digging the flat buttons because you never know what is on the back of them and this button sure delivered in that aspect. Once I started to clean the back I could make out the word Victory and there was a star after it. I said to myself I think this backmark could be special and then cleaned a little more and saw the word Jackson and another star. After cleaning up the button I looked online and believe I have an 1829 Andrew Jackson Campaign button like the title says. It measures 14.87mm and I don't anything about rarity of this button at all, so if anyone knows that would be great. Either way it made a good day great so can't beat that. Thanks for looking everyone.

Bubba65

Attachments

• AJButton 019.jpg
    AJButton 019.jpg
    354.1 KB · Views: 243
  • AJButton 022.jpg
    AJButton 022.jpg
    334.5 KB · Views: 249
  • AJButton 029.jpg
    AJButton 029.jpg
    413.2 KB · Views: 614
  • AJButton 016.jpg
    AJButton 016.jpg
    986.6 KB · Views: 212
  • AJButton 034.jpg
    AJButton 034.jpg
    509.4 KB · Views: 174
  • AJButton 045.jpg
    AJButton 045.jpg
    446.9 KB · Views: 261
  • AJButton 044.jpg
    AJButton 044.jpg
    498.2 KB · Views: 150
  • AJButton 040.jpg
    AJButton 040.jpg
    642.2 KB · Views: 156
  • AJButton 037.jpg
    AJButton 037.jpg
    758.7 KB · Views: 201
Upvote 1

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice finds!! The Jackson button looks to be in amazing shape! Congrats. :thumbsup:

FoundInNC

Mar 20, 2012
Mebane, North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The button is SWEET and I was wondering if the medal came out that clean? If so, could it be gold? Sure looks like it.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think in general a cuff sized campaign button is worth perhaps 25% less, but not sure, anyway, great find, very good condition, it is basically the same as the PC77 in Alberts but that is for a 22mm button that has AMERICAN STANDARD on the inner circle. Your button appears to have no b/m other than saying JACKSON VICTORY. Perhaps becuase of the size of the button there was not enough room to add the additional words.
Alberts had the 22mm at RV125, but you would probably have to search e-bay/auctions to see if anything similar has sold lately. Sure beats finding a regular plain front side button though, doesn't it!! :)

Don

dsinsc

Nov 29, 2011
The Low Country
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelabs Fisher F-75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Bubba, I was shocked to see this button posted here today because I dug an exact match to it yesterday. I think Don's right about it being a cuff to the American Standard version and just not having enough room for it on such a small button. Before yesterday I'd never seen or heard of these little cuffs, now there's two of them. Great find and nice condition too.... Dave

OP
OP
Bubba65

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Hi everyone thanks for the kind words. FoundInNC that is the way the medal came out after just removing the dirt that was covering it, I don't see and gold marking on it so I think it is another kind of metal makeup to it. Don as always thanks for you help I have been looking for any records of this button selling but haven't found any yet. It sure is tiny so I think they just didn't have any room for much else on the button and it sure does beat just a reugular old plain button for sure :occasion14:. Hey dsinsc that is cool you found one too I have never seen this cuff button size posted. Lets see a pic of yours or do you have it posted in another thread. Anyways Congrats on your button and look forward to seeing your button.

Bubba65

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those Jackson buttons are great ones to have--still on my wish list! They are worth something, and are great, Early campaign pieces. Congrats on such a stellar find! -Buck

dsinsc

Nov 29, 2011
The Low Country
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelabs Fisher F-75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone thanks for the kind words. FoundInNC that is the way the medal came out after just removing the dirt that was covering it, I don't see and gold marking on it so I think it is another kind of metal makeup to it. Don as always thanks for you help I have been looking for any records of this button selling but haven't found any yet. It sure is tiny so I think they just didn't have any room for much else on the button and it sure does beat just a reugular old plain button for sure :occasion14:. Hey dsinsc that is cool you found one too I have never seen this cuff button size posted. Lets see a pic of yours or do you have it posted in another thread. Anyways Congrats on your button and look forward to seeing your button.

Bubba65

Here's mine Bubba, Did you dig yours Saturday or Sunday? Mine was dug Saturday morning, funny how two of them turned up within hours of each other. If your able to find out any additional info on them let me know and I'll do the same..... Dave

Attachments

• 12152012jackson3.jpg
    12152012jackson3.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 125
OP
OP
Bubba65

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Thanks Buck for the good words and probably one of the cool things about them is when you dig them you say cool another early flat button then you put it in your pouch. But the excitement happens when you are chexking out the back mark on the button and you discover what you really have :hello2:. Dave nice button it is cool both of them are in good shape. I found mine as the sun was setting on Saturday night cetainly a nice way to finish up a hunt for the day. I will let you know if I find anymore info or like you said if you do let me know. I have been looking and haven't found any cuff buttons yet that sold but I am sure there has to be some out there.

Bubba65

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread