183 year old Indian House reaps reward!!!

JollylGiant213

Greenie
Oct 25, 2009
Norheast Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200
Ok this is my first post on this website, so here is my story of how I went about finding this awesome axehead of somesort. I live in Northeast Indiana and theres this old Indian house near my fathers that I've always known about. It was owned by an Indian named Chief Richardville, here is some info from wiki about him
"After signing the Treaty of Mississinwas, Richardville lived in the Richardville House, in Fort Wayne, Indiana. The federal government donated $600 to the building, which was a stipulation of the treaty. Richardville used his own funds towards the house, and in 1827 it became the first Greek Revival house in Indiana.

Richardville is considered to have been the richest man in the state of Indiana at the time of his death in 1841. He was succeeded by his eldest daughter's husband, Francis La Fontaine. The Richardville house remained in the family until 1894. The land around it was mined for gravel in the 20th century. In 1991, the house was acquired by the Allen County-Fort Wayne Historical Society, which has restored the remaining property."

So this house is undoubtedly very old and lucky for me my moms work owns it now and I live no more than three minutes from there so i asked her if I could go out there and poke around in the woods around the house and I got the ok to do so. So I headed out there today to look around because we just recently had some heavy rain. So I go out there and I found something sticking partly out of the ground, when I dug it up I was so happy with what I saw, I brought it home cleaned it up and took pictures for you guys, so here it is!!! (and It sounds like this place was a trading outpost as well and the whole is area is covered in woods so who know whats buried out there I'm definitely going back out there to look. And also I'm planning on giving this to my moms work because there a museum and it belongs there with all the other things from around here.)
1_opt.jpg
2_opt.jpg
3_opt.jpg
4_opt.jpg

Attachments

• 1_opt.jpg
    1_opt.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 1,544
  • 2_opt.jpg
    2_opt.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 1,547
  • 3_opt.jpg
    3_opt.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,543
  • 4_opt.jpg
    4_opt.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 1,540
Upvote 0

Mooch

Dec 14, 2008
Your axe is quite a bit older then the house. This style of axe is what collectors refer to a s a three-quarter grooved axe because the groove only goes 3/4 the way around the axe. This axe is from the middle to late archaic period so would make it roughly 6,000 years old give or take a little. Great find Congrats.

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great great artifact find......and found behind a Chief's home, makes it even more interesting. Any attributions, as far as what
Indian group might have made it? Any idea where the stone used came from? No Indians here, but have dug/seen dug several arrowhead points made by Koreans. And have found several stone ax heads, but not any that quality.
Good find, 4 sure. :thumbsup:

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice axe! Still looking for one myself. I have found a celt but would like a grooved.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mooch knows his artifacts. That is one very nice axe. Maybe the cheif collected ancient artifacts.That is not unheard of with ancient cultures. Nice find and welcome to t-net.
HH
TnMtns

Ziggy-Grimm

Jan 19, 2009
Fairchance, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 + Garrett Pro-Pointer AP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
JollylGiant213 said:
And also I'm planning on giving this to my moms work because there a museum and it belongs there with all the other things from around here.)

Best part of the story! Now many will be able to appreciate the history behind this find :hello2:

Mrs Bloom

Nov 3, 2007
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
I'm excited for you to be able to detect around there! What a sweet find and glad to read you are going to share it with everyone. :icon_thumright: Just be careful of ticks in the woods! I'll be anxiously waiting to read about your future finds! Good luck and happy hunting!

Evan/tn

Jul 7, 2009
Detector(s) used
spectra V3,MXT
iv always wanted to find one of those as i was growing up i indiana

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread