1830 sterling silver?

EZrider

Mar 10, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I played on a hunch over the weekend and went to a diffrent part of the park. I found a very old path that lead to what was once and old foundation i think. Amist the carpet of can caps and tabs i got a whisper of a high signal. I pulled the trigger and it read 9in deep, also had to hold the little coil just right or i would lose pinpoint. Started digging and right away hitting rocks and roots all the way down. I got down about 6in and swung the coil over the hole and pile nada, nothing. I was thinking a hot rock or halo. So right before filling in i put my FX-1 probe in the bottom of the hole and got the signal agian. 3 more inches and i found this. I have seen many catholic pendats but none with a date or even look like this one. It says sterling on the back. Tell me what you think. If it is 1830,ive found my oldest yet.

CIMG0563.jpg

CIMG0564.jpg

CIMG0562.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
EZrider

EZrider

Mar 10, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, should i clean it?

Mac232

Aug 18, 2007
Greasy Creek , TN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I,m not sure about the date , but that was one heck of a find at nine inches , WTG on a super find .

Mac

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
A lott of those pendants commemorate a pope's birth, death, or an event in the church. Can you make out the writing on it? That might help, it is probably in latin or Italian. It doesn't look terribly new, 1830 though I don't know. Nice find though either way!!

John

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Date has some religous Significance.
Probably alot Later.
(second half 20th. Century)
WW2 at the oldest.
May be a Airforce Protective Medal.

Still silver Congrats !

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
White's - DFX,Prizm V, Spectra V3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way to stay after a reading.

As for it being from the 1830's, the answer is NO. First off, it wouldn't be marked Sterling.

Somewhere on this board, in the past, there was a thread on a religous piece that had the same date, and it had to do, I think, with when someone was cananized (sp). I don't remember just what all it entailed, but I can safely say that your piece is not from 1830.

With the winged sheild above the saint, it almost looks like it might have been a piece from a military base, probably air force.

There, you have my 2 cents worth. I could be wrong, but don't think so.

Still a nice find. WTG :thumbsup:

united

Tenderfoot
Jun 17, 2006
East Rockaway,N.Y.
Detector(s) used
white's DFX
I googled 1830 religious medal an found this-The story of the Miraculous Medal should be of particular
interest to numismatists, for the design of the medal didn't
come about in the usual way: "In a Paris convent in 1830 a
young nun - later to become known to the world as St. Catherine
Laboure - had a vision in which the Virgin Mary appeared to
her with specific instructions for the design of a medal.
According to St. Catherine, a voice actually told her to
'have a medal struck after this model' ".
Basically this means the medal is not made in 1830 it was a design " from" 1830. Anyway,great find. HH DON

OP
OP
EZrider

EZrider

Mar 10, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey thanks for the info guys! :thumbsup: It is a great find, i tend to find the silver coins but its nice to hit something that deep and be diffrent.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
nebstater said:
Somewhere on this board, in the past, there was a thread on a religous piece that had the same date, and it had to do, I think, with when someone was cananized (sp). I don't remember just what all it entailed, but I can safely say that your piece is not from 1830.

I think it was St. Christopher, but I could be wrong. Nice find!

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Congrats on the deep silver charm EZrider, nice find wtg :thumbsup:
Glenn

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread