Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys,

I've been waiting for the tides to be right to investigate a new section of coastline that had produced War of 1812 relics a few months back. The site is remote and only accessible by kayak so I was certain the SC mud had to be hiding a few more relics. After dragging the yak down a steep ravine, I loaded up my gear and paddled a few miles to the landing...against the tide. Arrived at the site and with a deep breath I stepped off the yak...luckily did not sink to my knees in pluff mud :laughing7: Went to work with the CTX and almost immediately dug a nice flat button with "TREBLE GILD COLOUR".

temble back.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

As I continued working the site I did recover a few fired musket rounds along with a curious hexagonal round. Research would reveal it to be a rare Whitworth bullet- The Confederate government, purchased a limited number of Whitworth rifles during the Civil War. These weapons were given to the very best marksmen in the Confederate Army. This select group of men were referred to as Whitworth Sharpshooters, thus were born the first modern sniper units.

whit.jpeg

The best relics came late in the day as the tide began to run be back toward the high shore line. In a small area I recovered a white metal flat button, brass with no benchmark, and a nice pipe bowl.

1.jpg

My last 2 find were by far the best. When the first popped out of the ground I didn't think much of it- a 3 inch piece of rounded of brass. Hadn't dug a lot of targets so I through it in the bag. While holding it, I realized it was a saber hilt!

sword 1.jpg sword 2.jpg sword 3.jpg

Nearby I dug another flat button, added it to the other and continued on without much other success. The surprise came while I began cleaning the buttons and I noticed a curious benchmark..."E PLURBUS UNUM" with 13 stars around the shank. I knew it had to be something special! Credit to Gheenoe78 with the ID- a rare 1834 CONGRESSIONAL CAMPAIGN button- 106B in Albert's book.

eagle back.jpg e1.jpg e2.jpg IMG_20150915_214113134.jpg IMG952015091595214218464.jpg

Can't believe the condition on these buttons recovered in saltwater, another great hunt in the books. Thanks for looking and enjoy the pictures

Last edited:
Upvote 14

gheenoe78

Nov 21, 2014
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds bud! Crazy variety. Congrats. That political button and saber hilt are schweet.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woo, that button is extra cool. Great finds Jon

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That campaign button is very nice

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very well done. A wide variety of nice relics. Congrats!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the E Pluribus Unum Button. I have only dug one of those over the years. As for the sabre hilt...are you sure it is not the tip to a parasol?

Dan

Glenn C

Nov 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice hunt. Looks like a fun place to hunt. Hitting a simular site in the morning :). Whats the name of the book of buttons you have if you dont mind me asking. I have several id like to look up..cheers

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another day of terrific finds, I always look forward to your posts. I'd have to agree with Dan, though, and am not sure about the saber hilt. It looks a little short in comparison with your hand, and the shape does not look right. Maybe it is a parasol tip. Either way its a great recovery.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the nice hunt. I dug one of the E Pluribus Unum buttons many years ago when I first started and had lees than fifty flat buttons under my belt. I have dug hundreds of flat buttons since, but not another one of those. I'm not an expert, but I too question the sword hilt. The conical shape doesn't look right for a sword hilt.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt Jon,
Big congrats on the button.
And I do love the pipe bowl.
I sure hope thats a hilt.
George

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice hunt. Looks like a fun place to hunt. Hitting a simular site in the morning :). Whats the name of the book of buttons you have if you dont mind me asking. I have several id like to look up..cheers

The site is challenging, but worth the effort. The reference pictures are from Albert's Record of American and Historical buttons.

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the nice hunt. I dug one of the E Pluribus Unum buttons many years ago when I first started and had lees than fifty flat buttons under my belt. I have dug hundreds of flat buttons since, but not another one of those. I'm not an expert, but I too question the sword hilt. The conical shape doesn't look right for a sword hilt.

Hey Steve, I had my reservations as well but couldn't find an exact match. Not a parasol handle due to the flared rim. Thought it might be a springfield scabbard???

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Steve, I had my reservations as well but couldn't find an exact match. Not a parasol handle due to the flared rim. Thought it might be a springfield scabbard???
Looks like it could be some type of decorative finial, possibly off a brass bed or lamp.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread