Fort Lauderdale Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found some awesome old finds on the beaches of South Florida recently but none more exciting than this 1836 gold half eagle, classic head type 1834-38. What started out as just another Sunday evening beach hunt turned into an unexpected beach relic hunting adventure covering several more evenings over a three week period. I spend countless hours researching and metal detecting at what I refer to as ugly beaches, places that do not get searched as much as the well known over hunted sites. I hoped that one day this beach hunting strategy would pay off and I would find a site that had never been searched for a long time. That is exactly the situation I found myself in as some terrific sand movement on a less glamorous area of a popular South Florida tourist beach had put relics left over from the Seminole indian wars within my metal detector search coil range. I began finding musket balls and military uniform buttons along with other interesting finds from the 1830s as I gridded the beach every evening until I finally found the ultimate beach hunters dream find, a gold coin. I will never forget the thrill of seeing the gold coin laying on top of the sand and picking it up knowing that I was the first person to hold that gold coin since the 1830s, an awesome end to an awesome beach relic hunt.

Happy Hunting
Gary T. Drayton

Attachments

• Gold coin front.jpg
    Gold coin front.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 9,322
  • Gold coin reverse.jpg
    Gold coin reverse.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 9,244
Upvote 0

Killer Angel

Jan 17, 2011
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Excal, Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Come on Gary, we all know you busted your diet by eating the chocolate in
that gold foil wrapper. We won't tell your wife. Your secret is safe with us, banner find, wink, wink!!!

Seriously, WTG!!!!!!

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I still say it's awesome :o

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on an amazing Gold coin find.....The person that lost it , may have had it in a piece of jewelry....necklace or pendant. WTG

Whitebeard

Nov 20, 2011
Higher-North-Shore Qc.
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! there is just no doubt that this coin stayed exactly where it fell and never budged from there all those years..... gold being so soft it's simply amazing.

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the banner & thanks for showing us!

Whitebeard

Nov 20, 2011
Higher-North-Shore Qc.
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So many coins have been found on Florida beaches it's mind bogging, wonder how it's going to be in 50 years from now considering all the THers there are today, gorgeous coin! congrats.

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Congrats!!!!! this is every MD'rs dream find! old gold!!!! Glad it made banner!!! rock on man. :notworthy:

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely stunning!!!! Well deserved pat on the back with 2 high 5's! You are the MAN!!! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

tseekerMike

Apr 20, 2009
St.Petersburg, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Minelab Sovereign GT, Fisher CZ21-8" coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a fantastic find! I am considering a Sov GT. Would you mind sharing what coil you generally use for finds such as this and your seminole war finds. I get the impression they were all found on the beach. Thanks.

OP
OP
Gary Drayton

Gary Drayton

Dec 28, 2007
Fort Lauderdale Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tseekerMike said:
That is a fantastic find! I am considering a Sov GT. Would you mind sharing what coil you generally use for finds such as this and your seminole war finds. I get the impression they were all found on the beach. Thanks.

Thanks and yes you are correct all the 1830s finds were found on the beach over several very windy and rainy evenings.
I have always had the most success on Florida beaches using the stock 10 inch Tornado coil, on both the Sovereign GT and the Excalibur. To me it is the perfect size search coil and I found this gold coin and the majority of the other 1830s finds using the 10 inch Tornado. I am a big fan of the Wot coil on not so trashy beaches but I stick to the 10 and 7 1/4 inch Tornado search coils down here in South Florida. Search coils are very site specific, beach hunting using the Sovereign GT gives you the advantage of being able to swap search coils to suit the site and conditions.
HH Gary

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gary .... have you tried the SEF 10X12 on the Sov? I believe they make one for it. I use it on the Explorer and i think it and the Pro have been the best im provement in years. Even Whites went to a 12. I know the SEF seperates well and is very sensitivity even in trashy area like a park i get great results.

Dew

OP
OP
Gary Drayton

Gary Drayton

Dec 28, 2007
Fort Lauderdale Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dewcon4414 said:
Gary .... have you tried the SEF 10X12 on the Sov? I believe they make one for it. I use it on the Explorer and i think it and the Pro have been the best im provement in years. Even Whites went to a 12. I know the SEF seperates well and is very sensitivity even in trashy area like a park i get great results.

Dew

Hi Dew
I have tried the SEF search coils on my Sovereign GT but I never saw any difference in depth or sensitivity over the 10 inch Tornado. If I used an ET or an SE Pro I think I too would be happy with the Pro coil as I hear rave reviews about the Pro coil especially on small silver targets like English hammered coins and Spanish reales.
HH Gary

jmoe

Nov 19, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It don't get no better than that. Super job

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread