1837 Hard Times Token, Key Date Indian Head (1872), Gold class ring from 1957

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out for my first hunt of the year today with my buddy FatTony315. We started with a hike through the woods to get to a foundation site. Not much success there, only found one button. Our second site of the day was a foundation on the edge of a cornfield so the hunting was pretty easy compared to the earlier hike/woods foundation site. Made a few good finds here, starting with a very good condition key date 1872 indian head cent.

009.JPG 010.JPG

Kept hunting and was turning up most of the usual suspects for sites of this age, suspender clips, a button, pieces of buckles, a musketball, and then I got a solid signal that read very low on my detector. It was reading at 15/16 consistently on my detector so i decided to dig it. I'm glad I did because it turned out to be a gold class ring from 1957.

003.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG

016.JPG

Moved down the hill toward the creek behind the foundation site and had a nice solid +73 hit on the VX3. Dug a nice large copper coin at about 4 inches deep. After a little cleaning it turns out to be an 1837 Hard Times Token (Millions For Defence Not One Cent For Tribute)

006.JPG 007.JPG 008.JPG

013.JPG 014.JPG

Here's a compilation pic of today"s finds.

017.JPG

And the junk.

018.JPG

Upvote 16

pl8man

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
San Jose , California
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT PRO with Sunray probe, M6 with a Super 12 coil & a Whites Quantum II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds ! Love the class ring !

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and then I got a solid signal that read very low on my detector. It was reading at 15/16 consistently on my detector so i decided to dig it. I'm glad I did because it turned out to be a gold class ring from 1957.

So, that's what they look like in the wild eh? Been so long I'd forgotten. ;)

Can someone translate what a 15/16 would be on an ATP? So many numbers so confusing! LOL

Looks like a really fun hunt!

Thanks for sharing!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt. I have always liked that particular Hard Times token, now I need to dig one. Nice bonus getting the "out of place" class ring. Maybe lost by a hunter?

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great first hunt.
I got a hard times token once, even had day/month on it, but bad shape.
Never got a big gold ring though, that must have been a big surprise, and a pleasant one.

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is what you call variety !!!!

Very nice ring..never know whats gonna pop outta the dirt...or where !!!

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome hunt! The IH and the ring are super nice, but I really love the token!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most excellent hunt Evo! :occasion14:
That is a sweet IH. Way to go on the gold class ring and token. Glad you dug that signal. :thumbsup:
-Doug-

Jyverb64

Oct 30, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer Se Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a nice Indian and the token is cool but top it off with gold thats a great hunt!

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, that's what they look like in the wild eh? Been so long I'd forgotten. ;)

Can someone translate what a 15/16 would be on an ATP? So many numbers so confusing! LOL

Looks like a really fun hunt!

Thanks for sharing!
A 15/16 on the White's machines is a pretty low signal. A Nickel will typically ring in at around 18-20. A large copper coin usually comes in around 75-85. Silver coins come in high as well (80-90) depending on the size of the coin. Don't know why I dug such a low signal. Maybe because it was so consistent. I'm glad I did though. Might have to dig those signals a little more often. :laughing7:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt. I have always liked that particular Hard Times token, now I need to dig one. Nice bonus getting the "out of place" class ring. Maybe lost by a hunter?
I was thinking the same thing. Either a hunter or one of the farmers probably dropped it.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So, that's what they look like in the wild eh? Been so long I'd forgotten. ;) Can someone translate what a 15/16 would be on an ATP? So many numbers so confusing! LOL Looks like a really fun hunt! Thanks for sharing!

That would be mid/upper 40's on the ATP WHADIFIND.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A 15/16 on the White's machines is a pretty low signal. A Nickel will typically ring in at around 18-20. A large copper coin usually comes in around 75-85. Silver coins come in high as well (80-90) depending on the size of the coin. Don't know why I dug such a low signal. Maybe because it was so consistent. I'm glad I did though. Might have to dig those signals a little more often. :laughing7:

Sounds like you dug what I've been digging pretty consistently. I recently found a ring that came in at 42 consistently. That usually means foil where I'm hunting. Just have to be careful.
Thanks for the response.
Nice find! Again!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome hunt! The IH and the ring are super nice, but I really love the token!
Thanks for the reply mr. b. This is actually the second hard times token I've dug. The first one was so beat up from a farmers plow that it was barely able to be identified. At least this one had some detail.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread