1837 Political Token, 1806 Draped Bust Large Cent

cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
DEUS 11 Fisher F75ltd,TDI Minelab Excailber
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had a play day today so I decided to go back to the ugly tree. The other day I found a 1723 Hibernia Farthing there so I thought I'd look for another one. No Farthings but I did find an interesting 1837 hard times token. "MILLIONS FOR DEFENCE NOT ONE CENT FOR TRIBUTE" is attributed to Robert Goodloe Harper, a US Senator from Maryland in the early 1800's. An online source says that a French diplomat had asked the US for what amounted to a bribe as well as legitimate financial assistance for the French. Other finds include an 1806 Large Cent, an 1870 Indian Head. and a few other trinkets from the ugly tree area.

Attachments

• pc1.jpg
    pc1.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 78
  • pc2.jpg
    pc2.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 55
  • pc3.jpg
    pc3.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 61
  • pc4.jpg
    pc4.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 57
  • pc5.jpg
    pc5.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 64
  • pc6.jpg
    pc6.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Upvote 22
That was a really good hunt.
Congrats on the token and coppers.

Being on the east coast certainly has its advantages, as those finds demonstrate- well done, Congrats!

I had a play day today so I decided to go back to the ugly tree. The other day I found a 1723 Hibernia Farthing there so I thought I'd look for another one. No Farthings but I did find an interesting 1837 hard times token. "MILLIONS FOR DEFENCE NOT ONE CENT FOR TRIBUTE" is attributed to Robert Goodloe Harper, a US Senator from Maryland in the early 1800's. An online source says that a French diplomat had asked the US for what amounted to a bribe as well as legitimate financial assistance for the French. Other finds include an 1806 Large Cent, an 1870 Indian Head. and a few other trinkets from the ugly tree area.
Nice finds.
Note to self "look out for ugly trees".

Since I started MDing I've only found 1 hard times token, hard to come by recovery! Congratulations

such great recoveries that cleaned up quite nicely, thanks for posting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back