🥇 BANNER 1837 SLAVE TAG & Rev War PEWTER!

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys,

Been overseas for 2 weeks and have been itching to get back to the lowcountry and knock the dust of the CTX. While I would have been perfectly happy to walk away with a flat button, I could never have predicted a night like this. This particular site has proven to be a great spot to meet other diggers on TNet. Over the course of the last month, we have had multiple group hunts with amazing success. Affectionately known as the watermelon patch, the dirt is packed with 300 years of history and continues to produce. The evening started out as most do, surface pottery, glass, and brick shards- the normal indicators for a killer site. Given the volume of targets and age of the site, everything dug ends up in my pouch for later identification. After arriving home I had no idea what I had dug. As I was working through my round stuff pocket, I noticed the familiar look of pewter. While only a partial, I carefully tooth picked away the corrosion hoping for a design of some sort...6...7!

P2170171.JPG P2170172.JPG

First Revolutionary War button of 2016, and finally an end to a 1 year regimental drought. Curiously, the 67th Regiment of Foot did not serve in North America during the war although 1 other example is noted in Troiani's book as being recovered in SC. Perhaps the soldier was attached to another unit during the occupation.

20160217_154708.jpg 20160217_155345.jpg

At this point I am already running around the kitchen, until I notice a familiar shape in the misc pocket-rectangular and made of brass. May have dug my first plate? After a bit of careful cleaning, my heart started pounding. Could this actually be what I think it is...holy **** its a Charleston Slave TAG! 1837 Servant #573. For me there are no words to express how it feels holding such a piece of history. The stories this discarded object could tell- stories which would have been lost after the site is covered in concrete.

20160217_205312.jpg P2170168.JPG P2170170.JPG P2170167.JPG

Among the other digs was a curious pewter spoon with an unknown benchmark, flat buttons, round balls, and a tiny pewter heart. Any ID help with the spoon is great appreciated.

HM 2.jpg HM 1.jpg P2170176.JPG

Certainly a night I will never forget- Rev War Regimental and a Charleston Slave tag at one site. This is why we spend the hours we do digging and swinging. As always, thanks for looking and get out there and save the next piece of history.

P2170174.JPG P2170175.JPG P2190177.JPG

Update- After 48 hours in oil and a light brushing I am happy with the balance of patina and corrosion...after all its been in the ground for 179 years :laughing7:. Thanks to everyone for the kind words and for giving this history the attention it deserves.

After a bit of research I have been able to confirm the tag was manufactured by Charleston silversmith William M. Rouse. He apprenticed until 1834 as a silversmith under John Ewan and subsequently went into business for himself. In 1836 he was awarded the city contract for manufacturing tags. Rouse's tags are unique in that he used a series of small dots around the stamped occupations on his badges from the 1830s. He continued making badges until 1840, size though growing increasingly smaller due to the increased cost of materials or diminishing profit margins. In 1837 he manufactured 3722 tags for a total contract of $8,141. Unfortunately the trail goes cold regarding the poor soul who wore the tag. All records were lost after the Civil War-

P2190179.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 112

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Am I getting it right that this place is about to be paved or built on? Breaks my heart that this happens every day - we lose history forever. If I was correct, maybe you should post the address of this place so we can all do our share of preserving what's there! :-)
Congrats on some sick finds. I echo Vino's comment that I think I would be overcome with emotion once I realized what I was holding.

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Am I getting it right that this place is about to be paved or built on? Breaks my heart that this happens every day - we lose history forever. If I was correct, maybe you should post the address of this place so we can all do our share of preserving what's there! :-)
Congrats on some sick finds. I echo Vino's comment that I think I would be overcome with emotion once I realized what I was holding.

Thanks Dirtwisher, rest assured we will cover every square in of that patch before shes gone for good.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

PM me and I'll sell you the handdrawn map VMI sold me for a reasonable fee.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A wonderful and fantastic hunt! That is a beauty of a tag! Congrats on your banner finds, well deserved! I feel your excitement and savor it! To bad it can't be bottled also! Big congrats again!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, I put my vote in!

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A wonderful and fantastic hunt! That is a beauty of a tag! Congrats on your banner finds, well deserved! I feel your excitement and savor it! To bad it can't be bottled also! Big congrats again!

Haha the excitement will be relived each time I share the dig and it's history for many year to come

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow...that is a most impressive find...should see this up top very soon!

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet new profile picture vmiairpwr07! Now we just need it to say "Banner Finds (2) +" under your name, so 6 months from now when I'm drooling over your next post, I can easily re-find this one and read the story all over again. Once again, incredible find man.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz on a couple of awesome finds! Finding something from the Revolutionary War must be super cool. But, the slave tag is the thing that would just send chills down my spine!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the fantastic relic recoveries! :occasion14: :occasion14:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought this would be BANNER in a heartbeat. I really hope because there's one up there this isn't left out. I'm putting my vote in. One of the more rare relics we ever see

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sweet new profile picture vmiairpwr07! Now we just need it to say "Banner Finds (2) +" under your name, so 6 months from now when I'm drooling over your next post, I can easily re-find this one and read the story all over again. Once again, incredible find man.

Thanks OutdoorAdv, I'll be reliving this one for a long time. Hopefully this thread let's the people who appreciate this history ample opportunities to see such a rare relic.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On Top or Not still a BANNER Find & the Button Aint too Shabby Either.
Another Vote in Tho.

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
On Top or Not still a BANNER Find & the Button Aint too Shabby Either.
Another Vote in Tho.

Thanks Daver, I feel a bit bad that the 67th Regiment of foot button is getting out staged, but I can't complain. Regimental pewters are becoming increasingly difficult to dig.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread