skarmajunga

Feb 25, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Fisher F75
XP Deus
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher CZ7A Pro
Found today with my new ctx actually was the second target after finding a clad dime, down about 9 inches. Not in the best of shape but hopefully I can save it, was a bit of a whatsit at first. Neither me nor my hunting partner could figure it out at first, we could read the reverse where it says United States of America but no American coin has a person kneeling. Google shed some light on it and at first we though it was a man and we found out that there are two versions and the one with the man is very rare, but this one is with a woman. Obverse reads Am I not a Woman and & Sister 1838, reverse is United States of America 1838. Not worth much especially in dug condition but still a cool piece of history. For a better view ?Am I Not A Woman & A Sister? Anti-Slavery Hard Times Token

anti slavery token.jpg

Upvote 24

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet find with the new machine- next time find the MAN version!

-- Jeff --

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a different token, congrats on the save.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Adding more history to your great find:
Why the female version of the token is more prevalent than the male is a numismatic mystery. Some believe that it may have been that the dies for the "Am I Not a Man & a Brother" token may have broken early in the run, while the others survived. Or the female token may just have been more popular, and the male tokens could not be sold. At any rate, some 500 to 1,000 "Am I Not a Woman & a Sister" tokens are thought to exist.
Source:
http://www.nytimes.com/1992/03/15/news/coins.html
Don....

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find I was thinking about getting the CTX someday. Great piece of history and what gives worth to something partly is how much it means to the person who wants it so to me it would have lots of value. I think lots of coin collectors would look at my silver coins rings tokens and think they were junk, and they might be but that's why I keep them the value they have to me...... That would be a great coin/token to display. Thanks for sharing it. Tommy

cambria09

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Sovereign Elite, Mine Lab Etrac, Garrett ATMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello skarmajunga. That is a real piece of history you have there and one cool find. I always like seeing obscure stuff with great content like that. Good Luck. C9

cambria09

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Sovereign Elite, Mine Lab Etrac, Garrett ATMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Adding more history to your great find:
Why the female version of the token is more prevalent than the male is a numismatic mystery. Some believe that it may have been that the dies for the "Am I Not a Man & a Brother" token may have broken early in the run, while the others survived. Or the female token may just have been more popular, and the male tokens could not be sold. At any rate, some 500 to 1,000 "Am I Not a Woman & a Sister" tokens are thought to exist.
Source:
http://www.nytimes.com/1992/03/15/news/coins.html
Don....

Hello Mackaydon. Nice bit of research...thanks for the post. Good Luck. C9

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the nice piece of history find and have fun with the new machine! :occasion14:

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great rarer save, and fantastic piece of history. I had never heard of one before, what I enjoy is that as an artifact it captures two important social issues of the time at once: bank failures/economic recession and the abolitionist movement. So often in periods of economic contraction prejudicial themes increase, so its refreshing to see such a stark contrast. Thanks for posting it.

OP
OP
S

skarmajunga

Feb 25, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Fisher F75
XP Deus
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher CZ7A Pro
Thanks everyone, it was quite the find. I will post more pics if the tokens condition improves

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread