All Treasure Hunting

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
Re: 1840-1860 era Antique Photo Portrait- UPDATED- 2 March

It is really amazing to watch how this is coming along! What a great find!
Baggins

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1840-1860 era Antique Photo Portrait- UPDATED- 2 March

Today was "D" Day (Do it Day) ;D I submerged the photo into Ammonia and Water mixture, I was greatly concerned about whether the copper chloride would adhere to the portrait as it was dissolved by the mixture, At first there was a problem, I was a bit cautious intially only submerged about 1/4" of it in the solution. Well, after a few hours of doing it and rotating the sides into the solution, I noticed the solution "wicked up" into the portrait area, and left a blue scum line!! :o

So, I made the decision to go all the way and completely submerged the photo into the ammonia and water (2.5 to 1 mixture).

That was the answer, I am not done with this portion of the conservation but almost. I am showing photos of how it looked when I started , then at one hour, then at two hours.
I am now at almost four hours of soaking and 99% of all the blue is gone. Once that is off, I will soak in distilled water till I am ready to do the electrolysis portion, hoping it clears up some of the foggy appearance.

I plan on trying the electrolysis sometime late tomorrow or Thursday morning, must go out pingin in the AM :> The darkness on the photos is from using a different light source for the last two pics. :)

Don

Attachments

• befAft2Hours.jpg
    befAft2Hours.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 8,019

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1840-1860 era Antique Photo Portrait- UPDATED- 4 March

It is really comming along great, this is one of the posts I am really excited to get to read each update!

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

Outstanding... your photodocumentary of this project is awesome Don!

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Montana Jim said:
Outstanding... your photodocumentary of this project is awesome Don!

IF this comes out pretty decent, considering how bad it is/was, I will group together in one reply a complete procedure...

I could almost get some enjoyment out of sending the before and final after to the Conservator who quoted 500-1000, with no guarantee of being decent. Also, he questioned whether it was a Daguerreotype, thought perhaps it was a unusual paper one. ;) Nope :)

Don

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don,

I finally heard back from my photo restoration friend, and he has looked at your post as a guest. He said that in order to spare the expense of a high-dollar restoration, your method will be pretty good--and will still allow further work to be done on the photo in the future should you decide. He only cautioned me about the importance of not leaving it in the Ammonia too long.

-Will

Ken from Atlanta

Feb 4, 2008
Olympia Washington
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150

I have to say this is one of the most interesting finds I have ever seen, and watching this process unfold has kept me checking back. I can't wait to see the final outcome!

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BuckleBoy said:
Don,

I finally heard back from my photo restoration friend, and he has looked at your post as a guest. He said that in order to spare the expense of a high-dollar restoration, your method will be pretty good--and will still allow further work to be done on the photo in the future should you decide. He only cautioned me about the importance of not leaving it in the Ammonia too long.

-Will

Thanks Will, well at least the soak portion is over, the portrait is now in distilled water till my next step, which is the electrolysis. After I detect tomorrow, I will then come up with some type of setup to hang the portrait vertically and hang the anode (mercury dime) in front of the portrait, centered as much as possible, then garner enough courage to do this step!

Now, I hope the electrolysis works. :)

Attached photo is when it came out of case and as it is right now.

Don

Attachments

• BeforeAndCurrent.jpg
    BeforeAndCurrent.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 7,731

FlatCat

Feb 23, 2008
Palm Bay, Florida, USA
Detector(s) used
White's

Wow, it's really looking great, for something in the ground for so many years. Best of luck on the next step!

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow fantastic, it really looks great!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You know Don, one of the most amazing things about finding this portrait is that there may be literally No other surviving portraits of this person. As is frequently the case with folks, very little is left behind by them. Heck, there may not even be any journals, handwriting, records, signed belongings, or anything else. The way I see it, this portrait could be the only surviving remnant of that specific person's life--and all the rest is now long gone and forgotten. I can't imagine the experience of looking at this item--such an expensive and beloved item for the owner--for the first time after all the intervening years. I think that's why this find is so great for me to see posted here.

Have you given much thought to how you're going to do the electrolysis? I assume you're going to do it very slowly?

Regards,

Buckleboy

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

It's been awhile since I've visited this string.

WOW...that is coming along nicely Don! I can see that it's copper now that it's out in the open so I'm sure that you already know that it's a daguerrotype.

I don't know how far I'd take it before I'd call it as good as it's gonna get though....but it's a heckuva difference.

I agree with BuckleBoy also on it being pretty slim that you'll find out who this person was. I have family portraits of my Great-Great Grandfather and his family, to include TEN children, taken sometime between 1905-1910. I can recognize my Great Grandfather (who was about 24 or so in the pic) and my Great-Great Uncle who was about 8 or 10, but hanged if I know who anybody else is and they're kin to me!

Maybe you can narrow it down some through researching county/township land records.

HH,
-SgtSki

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BIG HIGH FIVERS ON THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
staring at the past and hes looking into the future UNREAL
cool factor of 10
i threw a bump to the banner everyone else fell free ;)

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don,
That photo is looking great. Good luck on your electrolysis step. What a neat find.
-MM-

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

I TOTALLY AGREE...BANNER!!!!!!!!!

Don, that is coming out nicely...hubby said the guy kinda' resembles JESSIE JAMES...wouldn't it be awesome if it was!!! WOW....but I doubt it. (but it's a nice thought anywhohow!)

Beautiful Job you have done!!!
Annmarie

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS

Maybe they are waiting for the final results before they put it on the BANNER? It deffinately would get more people pumped for this hobby!

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

COUNTRY GIRL said:
Maybe they are waiting for the final results before they put it on the BANNER? It deffinately would get more people pumped for this hobby!

I believe you may be correct (on the banner)....and I hope it gets banner!!!

I would love to find something like that....maybe we will get lucky at the Pipsico hunt ;)...wishful thinking I guess!

Don, can't wait for the next photo update!
Annmarie

DirkSears

Jan 14, 2008
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites M6 - Standard coil & Super 12

Nice frame! Cngrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions