1847 Large Cent today next to privey

lostlake88

Dec 2, 2007
The Queen City
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
After some detective work I have found where an early 19th century cabin once stood and with some help have located at least 3 privey's to dig. We tackled one today and dug to a depth the old stuff is starting to come out, we quit because the water table is high at the moment. Thankfully I brought the detector and amongst all the iron I got lucky with this large cent. There is probably much to find at this new spot but iron is an issue.

Attachments

• IMG_0528.jpg
    IMG_0528.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 625
  • IMG_0533.jpg
    IMG_0533.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 605
  • IMG_0526.jpg
    IMG_0526.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 614
  • IMG_0529.jpg
    IMG_0529.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 601
  • IMG_0530.jpg
    IMG_0530.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 626
  • IMG_0537.jpg
    IMG_0537.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 601
Upvote 0

moundbuilder

Dec 19, 2007
Mercersburg, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE White's XL Pro Treasure Mate Pinpointer Nikon
lostlake88 said:
After some detective work I have found where an early 19th century cabin once stood and with some help have located at least 3 privey's to dig. We tackled one today and dug to a depth the old stuff is starting to come out, we quit because the water table is high at the moment. Thankfully I brought the detector and amongst all the iron I got lucky with this large cent. There is probably much to find at this new spot but iron is an issue.

Cool spot. Good luck in those old country pits, never found a lot because they didn't have the money for the fancy glass and cure-alls just a lot of fruit jars and canning supplies and an occasional jug. We need to dig one in the city sometime soon, between you me and Chuck we should be able to get something together this spring.
Rob

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done! Congrats on that LC. :hello2:
-MM-

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like fun Lake. Nice job finding those privys ! Good luck on the rest of them ! MaineRelic

OP
OP
lostlake88

lostlake88

Dec 2, 2007
The Queen City
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
moundbuilder said:
lostlake88 said:

Cool spot. Good luck in those old country pits, never found a lot because they didn't have the money for the fancy glass and cure-alls just a lot of fruit jars and canning supplies and an occasional jug. We need to dig one in the city sometime soon, between you me and Chuck we should be able to get something together this spring.
Rob

I am unexperienced compared to you guys, but the guy I was with thought these priveys are early 1800's. All field stone lined. Jim said the same thing about the fruit jars and such, but he said these types of priveys produce the yellow, and green fruit jars that can be quite collectable. We stopped when we found an old rusted iron skillet and shards of a china plate and water. I am finding huge iron nails there. As far as coins, I am sure there are more. It was Markley's first cabin site. I would dig a city privey tommorow if we could find one.

Charlene

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
SE, Virginia
Detector(s) used
MineLab Excal II & Bounty Hunter Land Star
I guess in the 1800's they never expected we'd be digging up their privey's over a hundred years later. Nice find and best of luck when the water table goes back down. HH

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007
Killer coin man. I have some lots to probe here in the city as soon as the sun comes out. Call me.

chuck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread