1849 colt pocket revolver (update)

morgan70

Oct 22, 2005
N.Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70
Found this colt pocket revolver recently while looking for a campsite. Amazing how good the condition is after being in the ground for so long! Think it's good enough for the banner!!??

UPDATE:
I didn't order a history from Colt because I didn't realize that they charge SO SO MUCH! I did find out though that it was mfg. in 1865. This puts our site as VERY late war or more likely, a small post war altercation.
Just thought you'd like to know.

Attachments

• REVOLVER1.jpg
    REVOLVER1.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 10,517
  • REVOLVER2.jpg
    REVOLVER2.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 13,624
  • REVOLVER4.jpg
    REVOLVER4.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 8,468
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Re: 1849 colt pocket revolver

Nice find. It looks like a cap and ball. I think I see the nipples on the barrel. Is that a brass triggerguard?

OP
OP
morgan70

morgan70

Oct 22, 2005
N.Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70

Yep,
The backstrap and triggerguard and brass and clearly show the S/N and inspectors marks. It also still has traces of nickle plating left on it as well.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

I see now. Definitely cap and ball. I dont know the best way to preserve but I would be tempted to put some oil on it. ;D

OP
OP
morgan70

morgan70

Oct 22, 2005
N.Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70

It was pretty cruddy when dug. I used a VERY careful electrolysis treatment on it and removed as much of the cancer as I could. I then treated it with K-phos. Amazing stuff! It's essentially a mild phosphoric acid wash that will stabilize it probably a lot longer than I'll be around. The wood has also been preserved. I'm really not too worried about degrading any further.......Heck, I'll probably find two more tomorrow! LOL!!!

OP
OP
morgan70

morgan70

Oct 22, 2005
N.Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70

Quantrill33 said:
morgan70 said:
It was pretty cruddy when dug. I used a VERY careful electrolysis treatment on it and removed as much of the cancer as I could. I then treated it with K-phos. Amazing stuff! It's essentially a mild phosphoric acid wash that will stabilize it probably a lot longer than I'll be around. The wood has also been preserved. I'm really not too worried about degrading any further.......Heck, I'll probably find two more tomorrow! LOL!!!

Terrific. So can I have one when you die? ;D

Q

Sure,
When we find this camp I'll probably just be throwing them in the "junk" pile anyway LOL!

OP
OP
morgan70

morgan70

Oct 22, 2005
N.Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70

I went into more detail in my post on todays finds. We're looking for a camp but found what I think are a couple of small schirmish sites. I know that we are getting close though ;D

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

ah quite the gun you got there if its .44 cal & (4 3/4" barrel)---its 1851 colt "navy" model (favored by US Marshal's quite a bit) there were also .36 cal model 1851 colts--- however if its .31 or .36 cal & (4" barrel) its a 1849 model "pocket" colt ---over 200 variants of the "pocket" model are known to exist)---both models are pre civil war guns and could have easily been used in the war---they are both 6 shot guns --cap and ball type blackpowder guns --- quite the find ****if still loaded be careful while handling till its unloaded ---the .44 cal guns were highly favored "back up guns" by officers in the civil war ---being they were small in size , easy to handle and most of all held 6 powerful and deadly .44 cal shots----(an added plus was that .44 cal was "standard issue" union pistol ammo for thier issued "pistols")---Ivan

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

I have a working replica Colt .44 Navy.Your Pocket model has a shorter barrel. I read somewhere that the Confederates used quite a bit of brass on this revolver frame because steel was harder to come by in the South and was needed for cannons. Is this true?

Attachments

• 1851 Confederate Navy .44.jpg
    1851 Confederate Navy .44.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 7,698

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

you bet its true the south used lots of brass parts during the civil war ---beware the .44 cal long barrel colt replica that you are showing tends to crack on the brass frame part---at least the one I had did--- there was a weak spot on the brass frame area --keep a eye out for it --thats why I switched out to the all steel 1858 remington model replica---basically the 1851 in .44 cal (navy) was not the "pocket" model ---the" pocket model" was the much smaller 1849 model -.31 cal gun or maybe a .36 cal at most------a .44 cal 1851 (navy) colt even with the "shorten 4 3/4" barrel" was a bit too big and bulky to carry easily in your "pocket"---they normally called a 1851 colt .44 with the shorten barrel "the lawman or marshal's gun" --- they were well like by police types--the shortened barrel made them lighter and thus faster to handle ---and since most pistol play was close --no need for a "long barrel" which just gave a crook some to grab at in close quarters------the "pocket" guns were more the "smaller" 1849 model colts in either .31 or.36 cal type size--- they were much smaller and thus easier and handier to "pocket carry"---hince "pocket" gun--Ivan

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x

I Vote "worthy of the Banner" use picture of hand holding the gun. Way cool dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX

Let us know what Colt says about it! It will make for a good story in W&ET, so once you know get your story in!

steve m

Jan 3, 2007
Portland, OR.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites XL Pro, Compass x80, Garrett 1350

I keep looking at your cool find! Would look good on my wall! LOL

OP
OP
morgan70

morgan70

Oct 22, 2005
N.Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70
As of today, I also recovered an Eagle Breastplate a short distance from where the revolver was found!! ;D ;D ;D

RevJoel

Mar 1, 2006
Central SC
Detector(s) used
Old Garrett Deep Seeker
If fading memory serves me the backstrap and trigger guard were silver plated not nickle. Nice find.

Pax Christi
Rev. Joel+

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions