🥇 BANNER 1849 Territorial Half Eagle

goldbrick

Jun 11, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
It had been a year since I had been able to hook up with my buddy Strick to do some relic hunting. This day was day 3 of my visit with him and we were off to a private property in the low Sierra foothills of California to meet up with Strick's friend, the ranch owner, and detect an early gold camp. We have been hunting this area for a few years when our schedules will allow. The last time I was here with Strick he had found a Quarter Eagle and some seated coins while I had only found buttons.
On this day things were not looking so great for me as I had only found one nice button and the usual assortment of period trash while Strick had scored a nice cast buckle wreath. We had just taken a break and had compared finds with the ranch owner, discussing the "whatizits" we had found. It was getting later in the day so we went back to detecting. I had earlier got into an area with quite a bit of scattered iron which developed into a nail bed which was obviously the remains of an old structure. So I returned to the heaviest area of nails which was about 250' away from the location of Strick's gold coin find, and was carefully searching through the machine gun iron signals when I hear a definite but scratchy signal on my Deus. It was jumping around depending on which direction I swung but was repeatable. Just another bullet or cartridge I think as I pop the plug. Then I see about a quarter of a gold coin sticking out of the plug as it crumbles. I didn't stop to savor the moment or reflect on my find like you hear so many times. I started screaming like a 14 year old Valley Girl, " I found a gold coin" and waving my arms at my friends who were a short distance away.
On the journey back to Stricks' I looked up the value of the coin as people always ask. I didn't much care as I did not plan to sell it but that is usually the first question from family and friends. I had not cleaned it well or looked at it too closely but I knew it had some wear so I figured a ball park figure of $500?
It wasn't until we returned to Strick's place that he was looking at it through a low power microscope and he says" Her headband doesn't say liberty it says Moffat". I had never in a million years ever dreamed I may find a Territorial coin but I knew in an instant that I had just scored the find of my life.

Attachments

• obverse.jpeg
    obverse.jpeg
    514.8 KB · Views: 5,401
  • reverse.jpeg
    reverse.jpeg
    111.2 KB · Views: 4,954
Upvote 173

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BenFrankOG

Jun 1, 2019
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Truly amazing find, Congrats! Whoever lost that back in the day must have been really pissed off. haha

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
It took a while to be able to click this banner (it was taking many of us to an error message.) It was absolutely worth the wait.

What an awesome find, congratulations!

dieselfool

Dec 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! I was not aware that such a coin even existed! Great job!
Was it understood ahead of time that all finds were 'finders keepers'? On a valuable coin like that, the landowner may believe it is his.

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't know very much about gold coins other that they are rare but I know your find is exceptional. I also don't know how to vote for banner nominations but I will try to vote for yours. Well deserved Congratulations to you.

OP
OP
G

goldbrick

Jun 11, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
Thanks once again to all for the comments. I certainly feel blessed to have found this coin and saved this history. Oddly enough I knew of these coins existence because I had read an old post by Thomas Dankowski on his forum addressing the history of gold coins in the USA. So when my buddy said it reads Moffat and Co. on the headband I knew instantly what I had found. Mr. Dankowski has some good info on gold coins that I believe can be accessed through the search function of his forum.
I am away at my employment for an extended period of time but I will get this coin graded at my first opportunity.
Dieselfool, to answer your question the landowner is totally cool with me finding it. He will be receiving a very nice gift from me as I am so grateful to him for allowing me access to this site.

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalinbur II,White's Beach Hunter ID 300, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F75, Tesoro Golden UMax, Whites 4900/D, Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold is always a most excellent find!!! Awesome Job!!!

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
Awesome find, that's about as California Gold Rush as it gets :icon_thumright:

Say hi to Strict for me, haven't seen him posting for a bit, but looks like he's alive and well. We need to get out to the springs again now that the weather is better for that area.

HH,
Cal

Last edited:

HessianHunter

Jul 24, 2016
Massachusettss
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW WOW WOW!! That is one seriously amazing find. Honestly this is probably the best banner gold coin that I have seen found. I was expecting it just to be an 1849 $5 gold piece which would have been neat, but territorial gold? That is just absolutely out of this world amazing. Congratulations on such an amazing find and it goes to show that sometimes the iron and hardest hit area of a good site can still produce!!! Well done!!!

OP
OP
G

goldbrick

Jun 11, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
Hey Cal, I will tell Strick you asked about him. He has been restoring a boat, that has cut into his detecting time but he still gets out occasionally.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DonnaJ

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy cow!! I’m hoping to find gold. That’s fantastic. Congratulations!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread