1850s farmhouse in Butler County, PA - 1950s Silver

PGHDigger

Jan 3, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nothing from the 1850s sad to say, missed by 100 years, but silver none the less. Found in one hole, first target (and only good one) of the day. Dug 4 wheaties, a few .223 shells, I was surprised there wasn't much more garbage than a few pull tabs.

I could tell the terrain had been altered, even near the original outhouse, I couldn't get a solid signal. The depth of the wheaties was around 6 a 8", so it is possible if I had more depth I would find some cooler stuff... Another day though... My Fisher F2 is doing me just fine now... It has been a great teacher and am as happy as can be with it...

image.jpeg

Upvote 12

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats! When you say "the terrain had been altered", how so? Added to, or taken away from? If the latter, the soil was likely just redistributed nearby. You may want to expand your search area further from the house.

OP
OP
PGHDigger

PGHDigger

Jan 3, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats! When you say "the terrain had been altered", how so? Added to, or taken away from? If the latter, the soil was likely just redistributed nearby. You may want to expand your search area further from the house.

Moved around and added on top of. But now that you mention it... I think I might know where the fill came From to build the dam for the pond... I am going to have to check that out.

Thanks for the tip. I focused most of my energy around the house... Next time I will expand my search.

retire05

Feb 16, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet! Silver quarters are hard to come by. Great job finding them...Brad

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the silvers, your way ahead of me. I always hit the entire yard on private permissions. Has the original structure been added on to? I had a sweet permission that produced many mid 1800s coins in the front yard and some in the side yards, but none in the back. The house was added onto in in the rear of the house in the earlier part of the 1900s, so the older coins are deep and will not ring in as good targets. What coil are you using?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread