17.7 KB · Views: 294
  • coin 2 back.jpg
    coin 2 back.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 305

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Nice find. I would consider the EF grade but being dug, it would lessen the value (somewhat). It is a low mintage approx. 260,000 minted. I won't quote full RedBook prices as almost no-one ever realizes those values. In my opinion, I wouldn't sell the coin unless funds were needed. I would send it to be graded. It is easily a $150 coin. You might be able to realize closer to $200 if it is marketed appropriately.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Based on James F. Ruddy's Photograde, I'd consider this coin near XF-40 condition. The only question in my mind has to do with the dark coloration of the coin, suggesting it may have been in a fire, and might therefore have had additional damage. The condition of the rim seems to support fire damage as well. If fire damage, and in consideration of soil degradation, condition might be lowered to EF-25 or EF-30.

I know this might sound extreme. But the coin itself is still a very nice specimen, and the trials it has been through make it more collectible to me.

OP
OP
L

lamarc

Dec 8, 2005
Central Ms.
Detector(s) used
TEK T2 se
Re: No fire just old silver tarnish that could be cleaned off

Tuberale said:
Based on James F. Ruddy's Photograde, I'd consider this coin near XF-40 condition. The only question in my mind has to do with the dark coloration of the coin, suggesting it may have been in a fire, and might therefore have had additional damage. The condition of the rim seems to support fire damage as well. If fire damage, and in consideration of soil degradation, condition might be lowered to EF-25 or EF-30.

I know this might sound extreme. But the coin itself is still a very nice specimen, and the trials it has been through make it more collectible to me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread