1852 & 1855 Half dimes, cant believe it!

Wallhangers

Jul 28, 2008
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, T2 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1852 & 1855 Half dimes, can't believe it!

I have had a great year this year already but most of it has been due to good research. We have been on a mad dash lately trying to hit a bunch of old sites before the fields get planted. Tonight we stepped into a field site that has a lot of potential. It was in the 1860 platte but gone by 1872. Didn't take long to find the iron patch. When I found the 1852 half dime I told my partner...that just made my year. A half dime was right at the top of my list of coins that I wanted to find this year. About a 1/2 hour later I found the second one. We dug a lot of targets, including some iron, but only have covered a small portion of this site. Hey Buckles or anyone else, help me ID some of that iron please. I think that at least one of those items is a part of a hoe. My partner found an 1825 large cent, 1860 fatty IHP, a mystery coin or button, and some other buttons, possibly an eagle button. He dug a lot of iron as well. We will be getting back in the field soon to finish what we started and have high hopes for more good coins. Thanks for looking.

100_2633.jpg

100_2626.jpg

100_2629.jpg

100_2628.jpg

Upvote 0

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Re: 1852 & 1855 Half dimes, can't believe it!

I'll trade you a brand new shiny nickel for one of those old half-dimes....
Just kidding...
Awesome hunt!!! (maybe someday..... :crybaby2:)

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Believe it! The first half dime I ever saw was the 1837 model pictured in my avatar. The second one I dug a few minutes later. They're incredible little buggers! Congrats on a pair of great finds.

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008

awesome hunt!! luv the half dimes. i also found one of those wheel things anybody know what it is? willy.

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great find. Beautiful coin. So easy to loose one though. Good luck next time in the feild.

Mainer

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You're on a tear WH! Great looking half dimes. :thumbsup: Glad you are checking those wish list coins off.

HH

postalgriff

Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

schweeeeeetness! dude those are beautiful! :thumbsup: congratulations, research paying off, gotta love it.

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

WH! You are really tearing it up this year :o Nice double whammy :thumbsup:

CWKEITH1

Dec 18, 2008

hey mark those skitters must not have bothered you guys too much nice going! guess i left to early hope you guys have a nice weekend to hunt. and me too hope i can find that camp i arkansas this weekend see you next week keith

Slipperyjack47

Apr 5, 2008
Solon Springs Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Procoil and SEF coils Bounty Hunter Lone Star

Those are some awesome finds Mark! Were ya using the 5 inch coil when ya got them? The best part is that ya got one with arrows and one with out....very very cool!

HH
Slipperyjack47

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Alright WH! You're having a great year. I can remember, not so long ago, that in some of your posts, I kind of got the impression you were getting discouraged. With all your recent posts I can see you have a little spring in your step! :icon_sunny: Patience and persistance. I'm very happy to see you finding alot of excellent coins and relics now. Your Friend Hogge :thumbsup:

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Those are soe sweet looking dimes...Matt

R

RUDY2003

;D ;D Bitchin' couple of Half Dimes!!! Cool find...

Keep safe...

fortbball9

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTAx 550

Congrats on two very nice coins.

fortbball9

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil

Very nice finds, congrats :thumbsup:

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

You are tearing it up out there!!!!

OP
OP
Wallhangers

Wallhangers

Jul 28, 2008
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, T2 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Slipperyjack47 said:
Those are some awesome finds Mark! Were ya using the 5 inch coil when ya got them? The best part is that ya got one with arrows and one with out....very very cool!

HH
Slipperyjack47
I was using the procoil. First time in these sites I have been covering more ground and getting a little deeper with the procoil. Once we have covered it well, I have been coming back with the 5" coil and working slow through the main iron patch.
hogge said:
Alright WH! You're having a great year. I can remember, not so long ago, that in some of your posts, I kind of got the impression you were getting discouraged. With all your recent posts I can see you have a little spring in your step! :icon_sunny: Patience and persistance. I'm very happy to see you finding alot of excellent coins and relics now. Your Friend Hogge :thumbsup:
Thanks Hogge, I hope I didn't come across too discouraged before because I have had a good year. I guess I was being impatient because we were finding a lot of old pennies but no old silver. I guess this makes up for it and hoping we are going to get into some more of it.
CWKEITH1 said:
hey mark those skitters must not have bothered you guys too much nice going! guess i left to early hope you guys have a nice weekend to hunt. and me too hope i can find that camp i arkansas this weekend see you next week keith
That is what you get for leaving early! We didn't find those at the site you were at with us. We moved on to another one close by.
Michiganne said:
You're on a tear WH! Great looking half dimes. :thumbsup: Glad you are checking those wish list coins off.

HH
That coin was at the top of my list now that I think about it. There is something about that seated liberty that makes it one of my favorites. For being a small coin, it sure let my machine know it was there!

Thanks everyone!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread